Topic

Mount San Antonio on a good day

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Mount San Antonio on a good day

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Recently, I posted in the forums looking for old winter gear. Folks responded with lots of kind words and offers of generosity. So I need to get back to contributing more often.

I heart BPL…..

This past weekend I was lucky enough to be free the morning after a good storm. I was going to be solo on this one, so I decided to play it safe and stick to a route I knew well. Mount Baldy’s Ski Hut Trail. I had to go early and go fast, my girls were set on surfing so I had to be home by noon. I even passed on some midnight biking fun in downtown LA so I could get some sleep, so I must’ve been serious. :) I was excited. This is my excited look…

excited

Finally, my timing was just right for this one, fresh powder for the taking. Before long, all the hustle and hard work faded out and the good mountain energy flowed into my eyes and lungs and down through my loins. I was feeling chipper…

trail

I got up past the hut pretty fast and there was nobody around. So, I decided to sit a while and wait for other people to come along before pushing onto the summit. I got mamas and babies back home so I tend to play things safe a lot of times…

ridge break

After a time, a PBJ, and clearing the jammed snow out of my shoes, a pair of climbers appeared. We clicked some pics of each other and acted giddy at how good the day was. I pushed on ahead but I kept these guys in my rear view the rest of the way up in case any trouble arose. But what troubles could possibly exist in a place like this?

Ridge view

Tracks

Ridge Trees

good stuff

The intensely satisfying work of charging a peak in such yummy conditions with no other tracks around, made for a day I won’t soon forget (and believe me, I forget everything, just ask Wisner about the car key fiasco). I laid first tracks up the south ridge and enjoyed the summit alone for a bit before climbers started materializing out of the clouds.

"fun"

edgy

baldy summit

Gear: The normal winter running stuff, except my new REI shell replaced my Houdini. Twenty minutes on the summit proved this shell to be exactly what I needed for winter peak bagging. Thank you William! This jacket is awesome!! My merino top, wool socks and synthetic shorts were all thrift store finds. Also, I use Brooks Pure Grit with thick wool socks, microspikes, Defeet gloves, small ice axe, ball cap. For emergency kit, I carried a large puffy, synthetic tights, more wool socks, thick wool Kat hat, Driducks bottoms, mylar bivy and basic survival bits. More stuff than i ever carry but I wanted a good margin of safety for doing this alone. Warm mitts and waterproof foot protection would have been good but I’m still working on that. The tips of my toes are still hard and numb two days later so I’m sure there will be a bit of healing to do there.

dress code

pack

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Wow…great conditions. Only in SoCal can you be in the mountains enjoying the snow and back down to the beach!

One day I'll make it to that peak…perhaps when the snow is gone.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I could have been a contender…I could have been somebody!

Too bad I missed this one!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

BPL hearts Adan.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nice.

Looks like you misplaced your razor and shaving cream.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Nice Adan! Glad you made it out there after this last storm… good chance it'll be our last winter storm for Southern CA until next winter.

Beautiful bluebird conditions.

Fellow BPLer Jhaura and I have also been trying to get out into the local backcountry during, or after, each winter storm this year. We got in a couple of fun trips earlier this winter but missed out on this most recent one which looked like it was forecast to dump a decent amount of snow above 5,000'.

You might try picking up a pair of the Rocky Goretex socks from REI. We've had pretty good luck using them with warm socks and trailrunners to keep our feet warm and dry-ish for these sorts of trips.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"You might try picking up a pair of the Rocky Goretex socks from REI. We've had pretty good luck using them with warm socks and trailrunners to keep our feet warm and dry-ish for these sorts of trips."

+1

You have to size up at least one size though. Also there is a left and a right sock.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Thanks guys! Hey I've never heard of those socks, I was thinking exactly along those lines but I actually cut the feet out of some old Goretex waders for the purpose. I will look into those as waders have way too much extra material around the toes to be comfortable. I also have looked at neoprene overboots but they are pricey and seem heavy for day hikes. I was considering hacking some overboots out of the sleeves of a wetsuit. Also, buying some of those $25 down jackets from Costco and making mitts, hat and socks out of them for my overnights. I picked up some Kahtoola hiking crampons, but I would love to find some real crampons for cheap. Then I need boots too. This is getting pricey!!! But for now I have what I need for fast and light peak bagging days. Anybody wanna hit San Gorgonio in the next few weeks?

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Excellent job of putting your winter gear to good use. Thanks for sharing the report and pictures! Peak bagging in fresh snow in the morning and surfing in the afternoon. I love California.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for the pxts and info on your trip. Looks like it was beautiful! I've been up to San J after the last few storms but missed this one. If you're interested I have a pattern for myog booties (just let me know/pm). I just made a pair and it was easier than I thought (and much less expensive than 'retail'). +3 re the Rocky Gore Tex socks, they are amazing. BTW, the neoprene (40 Below) over booties seemed way too warm for our conditions in So Cal, although I've only used them down into the mid teens. Thanks again for the photos.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Adan,
    I have a pattern for mitts if you need it, not my pattern but one I got here off of BPL, but it's easy and they work great

@ Andy I'd also be interested in the pattern for the booties if you don't mind,

Thanks, Jack

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Jack, I tried to send a message re the pattern, but your pm isn't setup. If u would like I can send it as a PDF: bluewater9 at cox dot net.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools