Topic

Exped Downmat UL 7 -> NeoAir XLite / XTherm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped Downmat UL 7 -> NeoAir XLite / XTherm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I recently picked up an Exped Downmat UL 7 at REI but I'm considering returning it for a NeoAir XLite or Xtherm or maybe even an Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad.

I found lots of threads on the XLite or Xtherm. Some people have complained about the noise. I'm a side sleeper that rotates several times per night. I would love to hear feedback from people that transitioned from the Exped Downmat UL 7 to the XLite or Xtherm. I sleep in a WM Versalite and live in Northern California. I may not need the extra R value but I do feel comfortable knowing that I have the ability to reach lower temperatures.

Separate note, I'm actively trying to interest my girlfriend in backpacking. I'm planning on purchasing another bag and pad for her (when I have the $$), so I'm considering whether the XLite or Xtherm would work well paired together in a situation where I'm "coupling" sleeping bags. I could also potentially keep the Exped Downmat and add a SynMat UL 7 Air Pad. She is a (very) cold sleeper and could use the WM Versalite while I use a lighter weight bag like the SummerLite.

Thank you.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I moved from a normal Neoair to an Symnat/down mat UL and found the Exped far more comfortable, the side beams on the Exped also stop me rolling off the pad.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks, Stephen. Makes me a bit uneasy and wonder if I should stick with Exped and buy a Synmat UL7 to compliment my Downmat. I don't like having extra gear and spending more money, but IF I end up buying extra equipment for my girlfriend, it may give me good flexibility and comfort for some weight penalty. (However, I do like the fact that NeoAir is made in the U.S.)

Jan S

@karl-ton

I have a XTherm and like it a lot. I sleep on the side and moved about before falling asleep. I don't actually remember hearing noise after the first night. I think the sound went away. Or I just filtered it out.

If you want to pair mats, keep the Downmat though. Due to the mummy cut of the XTherm I would expect that you won't have much fun with trying to somehow stay on XTherms and mind the gap. That said: If I hike with my girlfriend I prefer having separate sleeping bags and mats 90% of the time but YMMV of course.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Sean,

If I was to have only one pad it woud be the down mat as there is not a massive weight difference between the two, but I have the two as my wife uses one of them on 3 season trips.

Having the two would give you flexibility for bringing your girlfriend on trips, ask her if she is definitely going to come along :-)

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Haha fair point, I was using the "coupling bags" as a sales pitch to get her to go backpacking. Not a hard requirement, separate bags and pads may make more sense.

Is there a rule of thumb for matching the R-value of pads with the temperature rating of bags? My experience so far has been that the combination of the Downmat (+5 R value) and Versalite (10 degrees) is pretty toasty in +35 degree weather. I'm wondering if purchasing a SummerLite and a Synmat would allow me to mix and match for different conditions.

Jan S

@karl-ton

Without knowing anything about you or your girlfriend I'd expect you'd both be warm in summer and late spring/early autumn, if you use the Summerlite and the Synmat and she uses the Versalite and the Downmat. Also less for you to carry that way ;)

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I think the EXPED UL7 would be a more comfortable mat than the Xtherm. I have the Xtherm and it's very warm, but it's a narrow cut. I sleep directly on snow at least once a week and it's been great. My original Neoair only has an R-value of 2.5 and that was too freaking cold so it's only used in the summer. As for the crinkling, it sounds loud in the store, but in real-life use, I haven't found it to be an issue. The UL7 would be quieter. Most of my winter camping is now done with the Xtherm and a WM Alpinlite – it's a very sweet lightweight set-up. I decided to go with the Xtherm over the UL7 only b/c it was lighter and substantially cheaper. So far, I've been very impressed. The inc. pump sack works very well as well, once you get the hang of it. I also have an EXPED DM 9 which I occasionally use. It's ridiculously comfortable and warm, but it's expensive, bulky, and heavy. I purchased it more for base camp type camping.

Pros Xtherm: lightweight, low bulk, warm, cheaper than UL7
    Cons Xtherm: narrow cut, probably delicate compared to others in this category, noisier [though I haven't found this to be an issue]

Pros UL7: wider, slightly warmer than Xtherm, very comfortable given the weight
    Cons UL7: expensive, heavier, bulkier, more finicky.

Both companies have excellent warranty/customer service. I've had to replace an EXPED DM 9 and they were excellent. I've never had a Therm-a-rest product fail on me [and I've owned 5 different models], but I have dealt with Cascade Designs in the past.

If the price doesn't matter, I'd go with the UL7.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I've had the same experience as Stephen M: I went from the NeoAir to the Exped, and haven't looked back. I continued to be bothered by the crinkling of the NeoAir even after a week of using it every night. I also didn't like my tendency to roll off the wretched thing.

The Exped UL 7 is as warm or warmer, more comfortable, and the side tubes keep me centered on the pad. As a frequently turning side sleeper, the Exped wins easily, in spite of the extra ounces.

FWIW, one of my daughters is a very cold sleeper. You're on the right direction with getting her a warmer bag, and I would recommend a warmer pad as well.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

One thing I did notice was sleeping on snow with the Down mat I got cold spots, putting a half Ridge rest under the pad really helped.

I think I was putting too much pressure on the pad sleeping on my side.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Sean why do you want to get rid of the downmat?

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

nm

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks for all of the feedback. My main motivator for changing pads is weight savings, but it seems like the weight saved may not be worthwhile.

I'm thinking that a better way for me to save weight is to buy the Synmat if I decide to purchase another pad for my girlfriend.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools