Topic

Olympus TG-2: expensive solution for the outdoorsman

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Olympus TG-2: expensive solution for the outdoorsman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hey folks
    I just received the Olympus TG-2 in the mail this week, and splurged on the two lenses as well (teleconverter and fisheye). I posted my review on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R37CWYKXNJ1QHF/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00AQ2BWP4&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

Short summary? It's as good as most affordable point and shoot cameras, but not on the same level as the cream of the crop (like Panasonic LX7 and Sony RX100) or mirrorless camera systems. Yet it's way more expensive than equivalent quality cameras… all that cash is going into making it waterproof, dustproof, and tough. I would plan on keeping this directly attached to my backpack strap at all times, even in torrential downpours and crossing rivers and dusty trails, to catch the shots that I never would have considered otherwise (or those that are too quick to ready a well-protected sensitive camera). The option of expansion lenses is expensive, but opens up some extra creative expression not available to any cameras of comparable quality.

I don't have details about battery life yet. The TG-2 has an aperture priority mode, and better macro features compared to the TG-1.

Here are some weights for the gram-conscious: (in ounces)
    TG-2 camera+battery: 8 1/2
    teleconverter: 3 1/2
    fisheye 5 1/4
    cable (proprietary, not standard usb): 1 5/8
    Li-90B battery: 7/8

Note: If you use a StickPic, the fisheye weight is precarious; the ring has a tendency to slip. But it's still doable.

Also worthy of consideration once it comes out: Pentax WG-3, which will have a 16MP sensor, but other differences.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

On the aperture mode, perhaps you're right. I did read some professional reviews that were excited to see the aperture mode included, since they had seen the TG-1 processor decide to lower the f-stop in certain situations, when they didn't think that was necessary. But I took a shot in aperture-priority this morning, and yes, there was so much light that the ISO could not be lowered enough to compensate; the photo was washed out. Maybe not super helpful in most outdoor scenarios.

Considering that you have the CP filter; does that cause any vignetting on the lens? I was thinking about getting one…

Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Also, what is your carrying case solution? I've been browsing Amazon for some sort of light belt / pack-strap case that would accommodate storing the camera with or without attached lenses. Same thing with unused lenses?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I just bought and returned the TG-2 with insurance money I received after destroying a Sony TX10 in the ocean.

It was a nice camera, but after using the sleek sony tx10 for a couple of years, I found the olympus too bulky and heavy. I knew I'd contemplate leaving it behind on some fast and light trips.

I'm considering the new Sony TX30 instead. Waterproof to 33 feet, and only 5/8" thick and 140g.

Probably gives up some low light performance to the fast TG-2 lense, but a trade off I'm very comfortable with. Little bit cheaper too

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"That's because Rabs bivvies are made to be used the way bivvies are supposed to be used: high altitude mountaineering."

funny that I actually chose the tiny camera for the exact same reason. A camera left behind because it didn't fit in my pocket is equally useless. Our needs are just very different.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

This company has several options for carrying, including a chest harness (camera vest) and one that attaches to your pack strap (Strapshot).

You insert by holding the lens horizontal, it then locks in as the lens goes to the carry position pointing down. It is then released quickly with a twist back to lens-horizontal. there is also a long safety cord attached if you want extra precaution from a drop.

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Here is another popular site for camera carry.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ (Look under "straps" and also "holsters")

Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

For my preferences, these solutions seem a bit heavy/bulky for the smallish TG-2. Plus the thinktankphoto straps use dual-connections where the TG-2 only has a strap mount point on the right side.

I have the following products which are relatively minimalist
    Op/Tech Digital D Soft Pouch (small)
    — just a little large / misproportioned, but it fits the camera with either lens still attached and isn't very heavy.
    — I had the retention strap moved from the left side to the right side to match the camera (ease of insertion)
    Op/Tech 3401002 Compact Sling
    — pairs with the Digital D pouch
    Op/Tech Fold-over Pouch 253
    — stores the teleconverter lens
    Op/Tech Fold-over Pouch 301
    — stores the fisheye lens

I would like a pack-strap mount version of the Digital D pouch, but haven't figured a good solution yet.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like my TG 1's featurea but not its weight. I carry it in a light nylon zippered case attatchec to my pack's padded shoulder strap.

That aside it has everything I need and some features don't – yet, at least.

Its low lightability is great and the photos in normal conditions are very good.

As Father Guido Sarducci from SNL said, "Notta too bad, notta too bad."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools