Topic

Differences between Shangri La II Fly vs Shangri La II Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Differences between Shangri La II Fly vs Shangri La II Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Greetings,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find a thread addressing this topic.

After months of deliberation, I'm leaning toward this shelter. I didn't realize until a few minutes ago that there is a "Shangri La II Tarp" for $150 and "Shangri La II Fly" version for $99. Financially I'm also going to factor in that anything over $100 has free shipping; don't know how much shipping will be for the fly as of right now.

I asked Golite what the difference was between the two and was told "very little." Apparently the Tarp version has a wider door than the Fly version. Tarp is marginally heavier but otherwise the material seems to be the same and the seams are taped on both versions.

Based on their published specs, the Tarp is a couple ozs heavier and $50 more. The dimensions of the Tarp are 4'9" x 9'5"; I didn't find the dimensions of the Fly.

I'm tall at 6'3" but since the shelter is presumably 9'5" for both, it seems that I should fit in the tarp fine. I'm assuming that since both are ~ 45 square feet that the fly is basically the same dimensions. BLUF as both have taped seams, is there any reason I should spend an extra $50 for a shelter which weighs a couple extra ozs?

Thanks in advance!

Specs per website:

Tarp $150
    http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-2-Tarp-P47002.aspx

Trail Weight: 1 lb 9 oz. | 700 g Packaged Weight: 1 lb 10 oz. | 740 g
    15 Denier Ripstop Nylon
    Silicone/PU 1200mm Waterproof Fire Retardant Coating
    7001 Alloy Aluminum Stakes
    70 Denier 190T Nylon Taffeta
    3000mm Waterproof, Fire Retardant Coating
    Type: 2-Person
    Height 45 inches / 114 cm
    Area: 45.1 sq. ft / 4.19 sq. m
    Packed Dimensions: 3 x 6 x 14 inches

Fly $99
    http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-2-Flysheet-P882.aspx
    1 lb 7 oz. | 640 g
    15 Denier Ripstop Nylon
    Silicone/PU 1200mm Waterproof Fire Retardant Coating
    20 Denier Polyester No-See-Um Mesh
    7001 alloy aluminum states
    Type: 2 person
    Height: 48 inches
    Area: 45 sq. ft | 4.2 sq. m
    Main Body Weight: 23oz. | 640 g
    Pole Weight: 0 oz. | 0 g
    Stake Weight: 4 oz. | 100 g

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Ian, It apprears to me that the "flysheet" is just last years model.

I notice at the top of the page you link to: "Home > Archived Products".

$100 is a steal imo for this generally well recieved shelter (they go used for around that price here). I suspect this deal won't be around for long.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I am curious how you stumbled upon the "flysheet option". I can't seem to map to it from the golite site.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

That really is a good price. The only thing that can compete with this is the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT which is on sale at overstock.com for $99.95. The Mountain Shelter LT is 54 sq. feet versus 45 for the Shangri La.

David Ure

@familyguy

James, that is because it is an archived page and the fly sheet is not available.

The two products are the same and the one for $99 is not available.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Golite has been working on their tent and shelter offerings. It appears you have stumbled on an old page. If they will honor the listing, that's a perfectly good shelter for $100. I was able to put one in the cart, but I didn't try to check out. Even if you could, you may get a cancellation.

You can find a nest for it if you travel in buggy areas. Some have put netting skirts on the bottom to accomplish the same. The 2 person version of the tarp is just a few ounces more than the solo version.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the input. I landed on the Fly listing by Googling "Shangri La 2" and noticed that it wasn't listed on the tents/shelters link on their website. I didn't follow it to the final sale but it seemed from clicking on it that I could initiate a sale.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"James, that is because it is an archived page and the fly sheet is not available.

The two products are the same and the one for $99 is not available."

I should have had a V8. I see the archived link above the item description now. Well I have one in my shopping cart from earlier so I'll make contact with the company on the off chance that they have a surplus of the Fly version that they are willing to sell at that price.

Oh well.

David Ure

@familyguy

James – it happens to me all the time as well but I will add that if, as Dale indicates, Golite is willing to honour the price I would push for that. $99 is a steal.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

I went ahead and placed an order this morning. The order was accepted and went through. I received and email from Go-Lite indicating the order went through and my credit card was charged. I guess I will see on Monday if they rescind the order. IMO they should not allow an archived web page to be available if they are not going to honor the order. If and when I hear from Go-Lite, I will update this post.

Rodney

David Ure

@familyguy

That is pretty awesome. If I didn't already have one….

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Are you advocating to knowingly taking advantage of a "mistake " ?
    (is an archived page a mistake ?)
    If so I hope you don't get too upset when you are at the receiving end…

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I was just in the GoLite store in Boulder. I was told that all Shangri-La shelters are available only in evergreen for 2013. If the discontinued product is in bamboo yellow, then you have a legitimately discounted product.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Greetings,

I just sent Golite an email asking for clarification and I'll update once I receive a response. I like the yellow (bamboo?) color as well so hopefully it's truly for sale. I think $150 is an outstanding price for this product anyways (based on end user BPL reviews) but $99 is a screaming deal. Looks like shipping is about $8 for the fly.

EDIT FWIW if you google it, the nest will also show up on an archived page for $69. To be continued….

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

$150 is still a good price for the SL2 Tarp but apparently the Fly is a no-go.

Ian,

Sorry, but that is an old page and we don't sell the fly sheet like this. The only thing we have is the Shangri-La 2 tarp in Evergreen, see link below. Trap sells for $149.99

http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-2-Tarp-P47002.aspx

I'll check on that old page as it should not come up when searched. I was not able to locate the same page when searching.

Thank you for inquiring with GoLite,

Jim Lewis
    Customer Service Representative
    888 / 546-5483 option #2
    GoLite, LLC
    6325 Gunpark Drive, Suite 102
    Boulder, CO 80301 US

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

This morning I received an email from GoLite thanking me for my order and giving me a phone number for any questions. They included a receipt indicating the Shangri La 2 would be shipped today and delivered by UPS. The one I ordered was a Bamboo (yellow) color. I will look for it to arrive later this week.

I checked the GoLite web site and it indicates that GoLite reserves the right to cancel any order for any reason. Since they did not cancel my order and since they said "Thank you for your order," I am taking them at their word that they are thankful. For those who might think I took advantage of a company, I am sorry. I never intended to do so nor would I ever intentionally take advantage of a corporation or an individual. But GoLite certainly had every opportunity to not accept my order. Whether or not they want or will permit other orders for this single wall shelter at a discount, I cannot say. But I am thankful for having the opportunity to purchase it at a discount to the current model and color.

Rodney

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

My GoLite Shangri La 2 arrived this afternoon. Here are the weights of the individual components as it came from the manufacturer.

Shelter Stuff Sack @ 1.6 oz
    Stakes (8) @ 3.1 oz
    Stake Stuff Sack @ 0.2 oz
    Shelter @ 21.7 oz

For a total weight of 1 lb 10 oz, or 26 ounces. I know the math is a bit off, but that is how it came out weighing the total and individual parts.

Tomorrow I will be setting it up and taking some measurements. If anyone is interested I will post these with some photos.

Take care,
    Rodney

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Rodney,

That's awesome that you were able to grab one! I'll try emailing Golite before I make my purchase to see if I can work something out with them (assuming no deals to be found on gear swap.)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools