Topic

Tenkara presentation in Boulder-March 18

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara presentation in Boulder-March 18

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Our local meetup group in Boulder (called Boulder Lightpackers) has invited Daniel Galhardo to be the speaker at our March meeting (he accepted!). Daniel is the man behind Tenkara USA, and he recently relocated to Boulder. We are excited to hear him discuss his Tenkara USA products, the philosophy behind them, and the techniques used. He seems excited about this as well, and he likely will be filming the presentation for his later use.

The meeting will be held at 6:30 PM Monday, March 18, in the upstairs conference room of the REI on 28th Street in Boulder. We are hoping to fill up the room, and we are advertising in the local paper. There also is a maximum audience, due to local fire department regulations. So plan to get there a bit early. Stuart D. will try to make it, and I'm hoping Mags, Serge, and perhaps Greg Allen of Golden, and any others in the area will consider attending what looks to be a worthwhile presentation.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Sorry to miss that. Hopefully it will be filmed and shared. I would be very interested to watch later.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Randy, It is quite a tough drive to get here from Castle Rock during peak rush hour. We will see if he has any interest in doing other presentations in the metro area. Maybe he can do one that is closer to you.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Gary, is it going to be like other REI presentations where you reserve your spot online or just first come, first served? Either way, I'll be there. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Sorry, read it a little closer. Looks like it's your club using the REI meeting room. I'll just plan to get there early as suggested.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Right, Randy N. We're not affiliated with REI per se, we're just a non-profit outfit that they generously allow a monthly time slot. So they won't do reservations for a seat like they do with their own programs. Since I'm not really a fisher guy, I'll probably be relegated to standing at the back of the room and try to keep the overflow crowd out (we're sure hoping that there is that sort of turnout for this). Please introduce yourself–I'll be the 6' tall white haired guy hanging out in front before the thing starts, trying to act important or something…

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Cool. I'll look for the guy holding the grill :)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Just a reminder that George Galhardo of Tenkara USA will give a presentation tomorrow night at the Boulder, CO REI upstairs conference room. Monday, March 18, 6:30 PM. It should be an interesting program.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"Just a reminder that George Galhardo of Tenkara USA…"

Daniel got sick and his brother is doing the program?

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Thanks for hosting it Gary. (And Gary actually was holding a grill. :) ) It was nice to meet you and Stuart as well.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Sorry Greg–I had apparent brain-lock in that other post. It was Daniel W. Galhardo all along, it really was.

He did a splendid presentation tonight. The room filled up, and folks were into it. Maybe 1/4 of the audience was already into the Tenkara technique, and wanted to learn more from the expert. Tenkara is so parallel to the UL style, that I might actually think about taking up fishing again after his show tonight.

It was great to finally meet up with you, Randy. You get the award for driving the distance to get here. Great to talk with you too, Stuart, as always.

Edit-spelling

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

It was a real coup to get Daniel in as a guest presenter. His enthusiasm for the subject was infectious, and his message of simplicity, technique over gear, and not overthinking things really won me over. It's the learning curve and the mountain of stuff that always put me off the idea of fly fishing in the past. It seems like, as a novice, I'd have an easier time learning Tenkara than the old hands who've fly-fished western style for years.

At 2.7oz I think I can manage to find space on a pack to carry a Tenkara rod. And given that my 5 year old son will be coming on some trips with me this summer, it'll be an ideal way for him to teach his old man something aside from patience :-)

Thanks again to Gary and Ron for running the Boulder Lightpackers group, and for bringing such a wonderful presenter to share his passion with us.

Once again, it was a pleasure catching up the Gary, and it was a bonus to meet Randy for the first time. All in all, a great evening.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Sorry I missed it. I was out of work later Monday (boo! hiss!) and did not notice this post until now. I should try to make another meeting, though!

OTOH, I did get to bake the traditional pastry for St. Joseph's Day (March 19th) that night. :D

zeppole

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools