Topic

Utah in 10 days (backpacking)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Utah in 10 days (backpacking)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

I'm going to Utah, flying to SLC, the end of May. We'd like to backpack the entire time at different areas of the state…ideally some sort of loop driving and stopping.

we like to hike long and hard and up high, but may tone it down to enjoy the scenery a bit more!:)

any recommendations for must not miss areas?

I'm just now beginning to plan but was thinking something like 2-3 nights out in a few different locations to get a variety of terrain.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Late May likely means snow in the proper mountains, and potentially heat down south. I'd hit the higher desert areas.

One trip in Zion (classic Kolob to main canyon traverse).
    One in the northern Escalante (Death Hollow/Boulder mail trail).
    One in Cedar Mesa (Dark Canyon).

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Paria Canyon – People have thru hiked it in 2 days, but it is more likely a 4 day trip: ~45 miles (you will need car transportation). You can go out and back, go out Wirepass Canyon, come bake up Paria Canyon.

If you are looking for a few thrills, you might consider canyoneering in Zion. Zion Outdoor Adventures has some neat trips, ask them about the Subway. Best regards – Jon

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Dave's suggestions are great and you won't spend too much time driving off the highway to trailheads (especially in Escalante). Lots of bang for your time. The BMT/Death Hollow/Escalante loop from town is a blast and aside from most of the BMT, there's plenty of water to cool off if it's hot. Same with Dark Canyon. I'd still do the lower canyon from Sundance…just hike out in the evening or early morning. Not a loop, unless you loop w/ lean-to and youngs (which might be longer than what you're looking for), but Dark is a pretty cool canyon to hang out in. I've done both of those in the middle of the summer. May can be anywhere from pleasant low 70s to 90s.

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

Zion looks like the first place we will go to.

We were thinking about car camping one night after Zion around the bryce area to get cleaned up then heading out again perhaps to the recommended Escalante area.

At the end of our trip we were considering heading north to do Kings Peak as an overnight trip – the standard, and shortest route, just do it in one night instead of two. It seems like there will be snow there still, but anyone know if it's snowshoe level of snow near the end of May usually? I'm having troubles finding much info about this area.

We don't really want to bring winter gear, but could swing something like microspikes if necessary.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

"..anyone know if it's snowshoe level of snow near the end of May usually? I'm having troubles finding much info about this area."

Vid from end of May in a higher snow year, from the north side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgprZ_OQ9b0

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools