Topic

Impetus 1.2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Impetus 1.2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

Has anyone tried out this fabric from DIY gear supply? I'm tempted to use it for a new tarp but I haven't heard any reports from anyone. The PU coating on the underside is tempting because it means I could tape the seams as opposed to silnylon. Or, does anyone know of a supplier for the 7d silnylon that Luke's Ultralight uses?

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Locale: Steiermark

Funny you should ask, I just the newsletter from extremtextil.de today, apparently they are trying to get some 7d and 10d from a supplier in Japan. Although they say it will not be available till June at the earliest. It seems the process is very long winded, with constant delays. I notice titanium goat has also been out of stock for what seems like an eon. When they get some more in I would think they're your best bet stateside. Perhaps someone else knows what's happening. Looking now at your original post I see you mention 7d silnylon. wheras I'm talking about dwr taffetta. Still, it's news I suppose.
    Matt

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I just bought some 20D (40D and 70D too) silnylon from a Chinese wholesaler to compare with 30D. I'm expecting 1-3 weeks for it to arrive (paid the cheapest shipping as I still have a lot of silnylon and other projects to work on for now) but I'll be sharing in MYOG when it arrives and I can test it out.

As for your question, I have 4×4" samples of Impetus 1.1 and 1.2 and I was impressed when I got them…not sure about how they would hold up if they got a small hole/tear in them though. I would highly recommend talking to Scott at DIY Gear about this though. He's been very helpful every time I've had questions.

You could also try contacting Luke and see if he could sell you some of that 7d silnylon for a shelter…my understanding from talking to the owner of TiGoat is that the 7-10D stuff is VERY hard to find few factories can make it so pretty much every roll is claimed before it's being rolled up…My point is that I don't think you'll be able to get any unless you buy it from someone who makes stuff out of it.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Ordered a yard sometime ago and found it not very water resistant, much the same as a good DWR. The silnylon sold by T-H is many times more WR for a tarp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools