Topic

Looking for Dyneema X

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Looking for Dyneema X

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Hey all, I'm trying to source some Dyneema X gridstop pack fabric (210d) like they have over at Thru-hiker, but for less than the $27 + $40 postage that they want. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel that 1 yard of lightweight fabric shouldn't cost that much to ship here (for example, Zpacks will ship 1 yard of their fabrics for like $11).

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Hi Jeremy

As most us Aussies know, the freight is a killer but at least you can get the fabrics you want. My only suggestion is to place a big order – when I bought some Dyneema X I also bought a quilt kit and other bits and pieces – to spread the freight cost. Otherwise try to organise a group buy though bushwalk.com or similar.

Feel free to PM me as I have a bit of a collection of MYOG fabrics, buckles, cuben tape etc

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Part of the postage problem has to do with packing.

Some fabrics must be kept rolled or flat, but folding makes problems. Other fabrics are OK with folding. That alone dictates the size of the package, and that helps dictate the postage cost.

–B.G.–

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

I'm sure that's true of some materials Bob but as far as tough pack fabric goes I would expect that you could fold or roll it up pretty small without affecting its performance.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Jeremy,
    I have some Dyneema Gridstop purchased from a small packmaker that looks like the photo on T-H, with the dark, diagonal on the ripstop.

Also have some Spectra gridstop with no diagonal reinforcing thread, but a smaller ripstop, maybe only half as big. Have used this for about 5 years on a MYOG pack that was seam sealed with McNett SeamGrip and has not leaked.

The colors, except for the white spectra gridstop, are the same dark color that could be either very dark green or black, hard to tell.

If you are intersted in a yard of either, you can PM me to discuss terms. I won't be using it, but want to be paid for shipping, which has not been very expensive when folded in an envelope to and from Oz.

Matthew Hoskin

@mattgugel

Locale: Kanangra-Boyd NP

Jeremy PM me if you want I would be interested in doing a group purchase with you and others.
    I live in Sydney,
    Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools