Topic

What pack do you recommend for this gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What pack do you recommend for this gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

William, I don't have the Arc Blast, but I do have the Exo and Zero, which I believe have the same hip belt.
    The hip belt is cuben hybrid, not pure cuben. I haven't found it to be too slick, but it probably depends on what you're wearing. I, too, have narrow hips and found that the belt on the didn't connect too well at the outside of the back (my frame isn't broad enough). On the Zero, I got Joe to attach the belt an inch more towards the center of the back and it fits great, nice and snug. I also got both belts made a little shorter than the standard short belt as I have had other packs where I couldn't cinch the belt tight enough.
    Hope this helps.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Interesting William.

So did you get Joe to move the pack belt attachments inward on you Exo? Can they do that?

Sounds like we've had similar issues with no hips and belts too long.

Bill

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

"that after rolling the dry bag style closure the buckles are snapped to a side mounted mate instead of to each other?"

Exactly. It would give more space if the mating buckles were sewn a bit higher or were attached to bit of adjustable webbing. The standard arrangement tapers the bag at the top when closed and would be an issue if you were trying to close it over an object like the Weekender which takes up the whole length and width of the top collar.

In a rush at the moment but I will check in later to answer about the hip belt and post some pics of my Arc with the BV450 packed on top.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Personally I find strapping a bear canister full of food to the top of my pack is…awkward. Especially on a frameless pack.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I didn't get the hip belt moved on the Exo. While it is probably possible to have it moved, the amount of stitching needing to be ripped out to reattach the belt would weaken the pack somewhat, I imagine. Also, the hip belt is fine for me as it is until the load gets towards the packs limits, such as on a week+ long trip without resupply and when carrying a lot of water so it doesn't seem worth changing. If you're getting a new pack, however, it's worth considering. The custom setting certainly works for me on the Zero, and I'll definitely get any future packs done the same.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

"1) is there any padding in the pack to protect your back from hard objects? I did not notice any in your photo."

The Arc doesn't have built in padding but the load is carried away from your back so it isn't needed.

"2) how is the waist belt? is it comfortable? at what total weight?"

Prior to the Arc I was using a Granite Gear Vapor Trail which has a super cushy waistbelt. I was a little suspicious of the Arc belt when I first got it as it looked flimsy compared to the VT. I was wrong though – it works very well and is quite comfortable. The most I have carried in the Arc is 25lbs.

"3) I have the 'no hips problem'… pack belts tend to slide down past my hips no matter how tight I cinch the belt putting unwanted weight on my shoulders, but some worse than others… with this concern in mind, it looks like both the lumbar area of the pack and the waist belt are made of cuben fiber… which is slick… so seems to me it might be MORE likely than other packs to slide past my hips…. and put weight on my shoulders. What has been your experience Drew?"

I don't have the no hip problem, but I think the Arc will work better than you'd suspect. The greatest advantage of this pack IMO is that the arced frame transfers the weight to the small of your back at a downward AND inward angle instead of straight down. This tends to keep things in place.

Pics of the Arc with a BV450 packed at the very top:

arcbv4501arcbv4502

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools