Topic

“New” portion of Colorado Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning “New” portion of Colorado Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

Don't see that this has been posted or if anyone else saw it,

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=321409

GOLDEN, Colo. (AP) – The 486-mile Colorado Trail between Denver and Durango is adding 80 miles of trail through the Collegiate Peaks, which is home to a dozen mountains topping 14,000 feet.

The Colorado Trail Foundation says the Collegiate West route offers Colorado Trail users a western alternative to an existing 80-mile stretch of trail on the eastern side of the Collegiate Peaks south of Leadville.

The new section also is part of the 3,000-mile Continental Divide National Scenic Trail that runs from Canada to Mexico.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

It's been on most of the CDT and CT forums.

Bearcreek Surveying recently issued a revised CT Mapbook and a smaller set of supplemental maps of the Collegiate Loop for folks like me who already have the Map Book. Both are available from the store at the CTF website. I ordered mine on Monday.

http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Guides_c4.htm

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Yup, the CT Foundation announced the addition last fall I believe. Good on them for adopting a section of the CDT, especially with the amazing work the foundation and its members put in maintaining the trail. I plan on knocking out the additional 80 sometime this summer.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

I used the latest Bearcreek GPS waypoint files to make an elevation plot of the entire loop, starting from Twin Lakes and going south towards Monarch Pass. The Collegiate West (CDT) is in black; the east (CT) side is red. Note the difference in elevations. The horizontal red line is at 10,000 feet.

cl

Here's the official CTF route showing the added western side to form the Collegiate Loop.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I wonder what percentage of people will now take the new section? I'm going to do a couple of weeks of section hiking on the CT this summer and have been leaning toward using the west route. Since I'm only going to be out a week at a time, I don't have to re-supply and haven't looked at the routes with that in mind. Not sure if that would have an influence on way or the other for thru-hikers.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Oooooeeeewwwweeeee. That's some elevation.

Bob, would it be possible to get that waypoint file sent to me?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Tim:

You can download them for free directly from Bearcreek Survey at http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Reroutes.htm

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

"I don't have to re-supply and haven't looked at the routes with that in mind. Not sure if that would have an influence on way or the other for thru-hikers."

This is a good point Randy. There are two upsides to the Eastern route

1. Easy resupply in Princton Hot Springs.

2. Easier hiking

The downsides are

1. Road walks

2. Lower elevation and less of a wilderness feel.

I think the Western route is going to be better. However if you are in a hurry or dealing with lots of weather the eastern route might be a good option. It wasn't my favorite part of the trail but it wasn't horrible.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Bob,

I'm not a GPS user, so I was just looking for a copy of the elevation profile.

I know the CT foundation won't have new guide or data books for at least another year or so.

Thanks anyway!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Any mapping software will do it.

The route "new" but the trails aren't . The route just shifted west to existing trails, which will show up on NG Topo or DeLorme, and can be profiled.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

"Any mapping software will do it."

Fair enough. I just thought and asked about it for quick reference since it was already done.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools