Topic

What glue/adhesive?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What glue/adhesive?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

Need to do some reinforcement/repairs on silnylon. Would like to glue it before sewing.

Also, am doing some experimentation with tyvek. May not sew this.

What glue or glues work the best for each?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Silnylon only bonds with sil-based adhesives, so use Mcnett Silnet

Not sure about tyvek…I know people use tyvek tape, but I don't have any personal experience with any gel or liquid glues/adhesives for tyvek.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Water based contact cement for Tyvek…although many here have used 3M Super 77 as well, with success.

-Mark in St. Louis

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

A must read is Jim Colten's article right here, but hard to find using the BPL search function:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics.html

Silicone sealers, products intended for sealing, are not as good as the glues, like GE silicone glue, readily available on line.

I've used the glue with a roller, but no clamping as advised in the article, for attaching reinforcement patches to the corners and stress points on tent flies.
    The patches were sewn over along the edges of the fly, but not along the circular edges of the patches several inches inside the perimater of the fly.

The patches have held up very well, and on test pieces, the unsewn edges will not peel away from the fly unless really pulled hard. Not a problem, IMO.

I found chain store Isopropyl alcohol and Bounty paper towels good for cleaning up as I went along. There was no problem sewing after the glue dried, easier actually.

There are no other adhesives I know of that work on silnylon.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"Water based contact cement for Tyvek…although many here have used 3M Super 77 as well, with success."

Why water based?

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Here's some Tyvek info, including gluing:

http://www.polymernotes.org/resources/tyvekdupont.htm

-Mark

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,

+1 on 3M Super 77 glue.
    It works great with Tyvek
    giving very strong bond.

Cheers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools