Topic

Best tea with no caffeine for the Sierras?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Best tea with no caffeine for the Sierras?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Any tea drinkers out there that could suggest a good afternoon tea with no caffeine plus needs to be flavorful like maybe a herbal tea? I just started drinking tea and need some insight, thanks.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A few sprigs of white fir makes a no-caffeine tea. It's the very "Christmas Tree"-looking tree between 5,000 and 8,000 feet elevation. Two rows of needles are on opposite sides of each twig.

How much lower weight can get than that?!?

Don't use Douglas Fir with the droopy branches – it has a laxative effect. Unless you want that. Its needles point in all directions from each twig.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks for the suggestion David and that is UL!! But I am willing to bring in a few tea bags with me. Maybe some sleeping time tea to help me sleep at the higher altitudes? I have tried a few teas but I have not found the right one yet.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

How about Tazo Calm Tea?

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Here are a few for you Jay:

http://www.californiateahouse.com/Herbal-Tea/Bedtime-Chai-II/product.tpl.html . I got of this for my mom for Christmas as the flavor was good if you like a mild Chai flavor. Its not especially spicy as I recall.

I am sipping some Stash Orange Starfruit right now. Its the best tasting chamomile tea I have tasted to date: http://www.stashtea.com/Stash-Tea-Orange-Starfruit-Herbal/dp/B005DM5GP4

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Nice David, I will check them out for sure. I have been starting to enjoy teas lately in the afternoon and thought it would very ZEN LIKE to have a cup of tea in the mountains say between 2-4.

Tazo Calm Tea sounds good like a good option.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Jay,

In my neck of the woods we call it "A spot ah tea" LOL.

I really enjoy some chocolate chai tea added to some hot coco before bed, uummmm!!! it gives the tea some body and richness, hits the spot for me, just saying, who doesn't like chocolate?

Jack

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I always carry ordinary black tea for morning when I can use the caffeine, and then I have the no caffeine version of black tea for evening.

I've been a tea drinker ever since my first trip to Nepal in 1983. You have to boil the water to make tea, so that way you know that your water is halfway safe to drink if you drink it as tea.

–B.G.–

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My personal fave is Trader Joes peppermint tea.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Love this one since I'm not metabolizing caffeine as well as I used to. The Starbucks at Barnes and Noble carry different teas than the regular ones. I'm forgetting the name but they have a wonderful green tea which has coconut (sans laxative effect.)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"The indiginous people say it helps them with altitude. "

Not naming names, but someone I know spent time in Bolivia. When they weren't providing medical care, they'd hike around including one time up a 21,000-foot peak. The coca leaves seemed to help or maybe made them not care so much.

The taste was described as, yeah, not bad, but sort of what you'd imagine a cow's diet to taste like. As opposed to the potatoes – dried in the sun interspaced with being walked on in dirty bare feet to squeeze more water out of them (preservation through disication) which they reported as tasting like chewy dirt.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks for all of the suggestions much appreciated!

Jay

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I will suggest the "Red Rubios" teas, which are caffeine-less by nature and taste very good. I have a no-caff buddy who has become a major fan of something he can brew up and enjoy without sugar or the "Evil C".

Funny, I refer to the same stuff as "Vitamin C".

The rubios tea is quite good, however.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal
    Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

I couldn't help myself from posting about this. For sure I LOVE coffee but ultimately it is toxic to my system and mood here are my alternatives when I'm on the wagon.

This stuff is fantastic a unique taste and always brings a good vibe. My wife brought it home from the local everything is expensive and special store not sure where you get it elsewhere but I reccomend it!
    Tea3

What I bring to the mountains, smells good tastes good so so on getting a buzz.
    Tea2

Not part of the OP question but when I want to get a solid buzz I'll drink this stuff. It has about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee and seems to me mellower overall. Plus it smells and tastes herbal.
    Tea1

Of course I'm off for a morning walk to a local cafe full of hipsters taking coffee WAY to seriously but my macchiato is going to kick ass! http://fourbarrelcoffee.com/company/

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

I recommend Coca tea, especially for the mountains. It made trekking in the Andes much more pleasurable. It's only subtly stimulating, much less so than a black tea, tastes great, and helps with the altitude. You can get unprocessed, full alkaloid coca tea here: http://www.mysteriousbolivian.com/servlet/the-Coca-Teas/Categories

Just stay away from Windsor and Delisse brands.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools