Topic

which tent to get

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) which tent to get

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

There is only one guyline on the Europa 5 or the Lunar Solo Enhanced in the front with the sliding clip for the vestibule. I would probably leave this alone unless you want attempt to attach it to Spectra and make a spectra line with a slider attatchment as suggested by Paul. The other lines on both tents are shock cords attached to the floor and adjustable locking webbed fabric attached to the silnylon outer tent fabric. Again, I would probably leave these alone since they work well and the weight savings would probably not warrant the change to the webbed fabric. If you wish to get Spectra cord, you may wish to get some for additional guylines which are not included with the tents.

Check with Ron Moak of Six Moons to find out if he feels the need for the “beefier” tent stakes for the Europa as he recommends for the Lunar Solo (this is due to the design of the tent and adjustments that can be made).

As to stakes, Paul is correct about the holding power of the titanium skewers. The Europa only uses 4 stakes (minimum)while the Lunar Solo Enhanced needs 6 stakes (minimum). A set of 6 BMW skewers that I have weigh about 1.3 oz. The larger aluminum stakes sold by Six Moons are much larger than aluminum skewer type stakes (9″ long from my measurements) and a set of 6 weighs 2.8 oz. They however appear to be just a little lighter than my Y type Mountain Hardware aluminum stakes which I believe are 7 + inches long. As Paul indicates the Y type aluminum stakes may have more holding power due to surface area.

Also neither of the Six Moons tents would be considered as 4 season. At best Ron may consider the Europa a little more than a 3 to perhaps as much as a 3+ season tent.

As Paul asks, why the decision on the Europa 05 now? There is no question that the Lunar Solo Enhanced has a small footprint with 27.5 Sq feet of floor space. There is space for your sleeping pad and sleeping bag at the entry with space for your gear at the rear of the tent. The Europa has more space with 35 square feet which would be enough for 2 people, but a bit tight for 2 with gear. But the Europa weighs 10 oz more than the Lunar Solo Enhanced.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Paul,

As to stakes, I generally recommend the Easton stakes aluminum. Though I think that titanium stakes will work fine in most cases. If you’re camping in areas with soft soil the small diameter titanium stakes will have a tendency to blow out in windy conditions. So using them will require either setting them as a deadman stake or piling rocks on top to keep them from pulling out. It is the surface area of the stake that determines its holding capacity. While larger diameter stakes are a bit harder to drive they have significantly greater holding power.

While we sale the Easton stakes, you can generally use any of the light V or Y stakes just as well. These stakes average about a half ounce per stake, which is still lighter than traditional aluminum shepherd’s hook stakes. At a quarter ounce or less per stake, the titanium stakes are obviously lighter.

You can get away with lighter stakes with careful site selection. But when you start pushing the boundaries of ultralight structures by placing them in more exposed locations, you need to better secure them. There are always trade offs between weight and flexibility of tent usage.

I also like the Easton stakes because they are brightly anodized. As such they are easily seen during early morning breakdowns. Times when gray stakes seem to meld into the forest floor and trying to find them can be a miserable experience. Fortunately, there are many stakes available that come in bright easy to see colors. Even some bright titanium stakes are available on this website.

If you looking for the lightest combination, I would suggest that primary guylines be secured with the larger diameter stakes. Shorter lines can be secured with smaller diameter titanium stakes. Often times the longer guy lines will have the greatest stress placed on them.

With the Lunar Solo you could use one large diameter stake and 5 titanium stakes. With the Europa 05 it would be one large diameter stake plus 3 titanium stakes.

Ron

Six Moon Designs

stuart shahan

@phatmanforya

paul, the reason I chose the Europa is that if I can keep the tent under three pounds and still have room to spread out on warm nights I’ll go for it. 6 oz. is not much to me; my last pack weight was 65 #’s (Kmart tent, sleeping bag and lots of extras).

I wasn’t sure if the guy line was attached to the tent but since it is I’ll leave it.

all the stake info is good to know. like I say all I’ve used before was Kmart stuff, and kmart dosen’t have a good selection.

thanks for all the help. being new to ultralight I’m sure I’ll have more ?’s for you. thanx agian.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Stuart,

The weight difference between the Lunar Solo Enhanced and the Euoropa 05 is 10 oz (not 6 oz). The difference becomes less (to as little as about 9 oz depending upon the choice of stakes) however due to the usage of 2 fewer stakes for the Euoropa than the Lunar Solo.

stuart shahan

@phatmanforya

do you think that i should try to get the lightest gear posible?

well, you may be right the extra sleeping space (7.5 sq. ft. by there site) may not be worth the 10 oz. and $55

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Stuart,

generally speaking, “lighter is better” as long as the designs & constructions are sound. these forums will direct you towards such gear.

i lightened up in “steps”, being a tad “fearful” about jumping right into the UL movement with both feet. this has caused me to spend a lot more $$$ than i really had to. now that i’ve got my base pack wt. down to ~7lb 8oz, i realize that i should have done it all in one step. i don’t mean as a single month’s purchases (that would have “blown” my budget), but rather that i could have done away with intermediate “lightening” up steps for each pc. of gear to test whether the gear would work well.

i now realize that the dozens of hours i spent using/testing gear pales in cp. to the combined 1000’s of hrs other posters to these forums have spent using the same gear. my impressions of the UL gear i now use is basically the same as the consensus impressions of the experienced users. i should have gone with their experience & recommendations from the “get go”. it would have save me a lot of $$$.

keep in mind, as you read the following comments, that i do not yet own the Lunar Solo ‘e’, but, over the last 40+ yrs i have spent nights in one and two person tents ranging from 16sqt ft up to 35sq ft. (having also used 28 and 32 sq ft tents as well).

for purely solo use 27.5sq ft of living area, NOT counting the vestibule area, is really quite large. many solo tents are ONLY 18sq ft to 20 sq ft.. these also typically have a vestibule that is only 1/2 of the area of the Lunar Solo ‘e’. some of the smaller solo tents (still NOT considered bivies) are just 16 or 17 sq ft. – these are very, very tiny.

really, 27.5 sq ft is plenty of room for one person+gear. your pack & boots (if desired) should fit nicely right next to you.

in an emergency situation, two w/o gear could fit into that 27.5 sq. ft – a cozy fit mind you. the gear would stay in the vestibule in that case, unless the packs were placed under the legs. you wouldn’t PLAN to use the Lunar solo ‘e’ as a two-person shelter, but just in case a pack of marauding squirrels rip your hiking buddy’s shelter to pieces, you both could weather the all night T-storm in your Lunar. i’m sure you get the idea i’m trying to convey here.

typical two-man tents are 28sq ft for a small two person tent (no room for 2+gear inside; only room for the two people; generally, gear stays in vestibule) all the way up to to ~35sq ft, with ~30-32 sq ft being about the most popular area for a two-person.

think about it for a moment, there is NOT much diff. in total area b/t 27.5 sq. ft. for one-person & 30-32 sq. ft for TWO people. however, there is a GREAT diff in area per person. picture in your mind, or mark out on the floor with some tape or string, the 3-5 sq ft of area diff b/t the Lunar & a 30-32 sq ft TWO person tent. could a second person fit in that diff in area? No, of course not. thinking about it this way, one can really “see” how much room 27.5 sq ft is for ONE person. yet, most tent mfr’s are giving 2 people only 30-32 sq ft.

hey..if you want, mark out on the floor the footprints of the Lunar & the Europa. Place Europa “footprint” around the Lunar. Then lay inside of the Lunar “footprint”/outline. Look around & visualize how much room you would actually have. Look at the diff. b/t the Lunar outline & the Europa outline. I wish that I had thought of doing this 15mos. ago. It would have saved me from buying some tents that were simply larger than what I really wanted.

remember, as you go lighter, your gear will get, not only lighter, but it will pack smaller. so, you’re not going to be storing a fairly rigid 6lb or 7lb 5500 cu. in. internal frame pack next to you in the Lunar Solo ‘e’. it will be a smaller internal frame pack (SMD Starlite, or GossamerGear Mariposa), or a frameless pack (from GossamerGear or GoLite – two excellent sources of these packs). all of these L/UL packs should fit nicely inside with you. also, you may be using a 30″-48″ sleeping pad, so you may place your pack under your legs (outside of the sleeping bag of course) to insulate your legs from the cold of the ground. that is, you place your pack b/t the floor of the shelter & your sleeping bag.

an experienced, intelligent designer like Mr. Moak obviously decided upon 27.5 sq ft for a good reason. i would guess his personal experience, and common sense, came into play here. it should handle 1+gear nicely.

there’s nothing wrong with getting the Europa. just make sure your reasons are well thought out. if you think that you may, at times, not be going solo & will have to share your shelter, then depending upon how often you think that this will occur (& assuming you don’t mind sharing your living space), then maybe the Europa is a better choice. if you need room to spread out inside the tent for let’s say…(i’m “reaching” here), …drawing landscapes, etc, from inside your tent, then maybe you need the extra room for sketch pad & mat’ls. you’re the best judge of why you would need extra space. [Note: if any reader of these posts can think of other good reasons for a solo hiker to choose the Europa over the Lunar, please post & let Stuart know. i don’t believe i’m giving him bad info, but if you think i am, feel free to “set me straight”.]

with full mesh front, excellent head room, & 27.5 sq. ft, i don’t think that you’re going to be feeling claustrophobic in the Lunar Solo ‘e’ if you need to “hole up” in it to weather a storm.

if i recall a prev. post in this thread, you are 5’8″ tall. if you feel that you need more shoulder room, place your feet a little closer to one end of the Lunar, instead of centering your bag side-to-side in the shelter (as viewed from the door/front). since the Lunar is 88″ long (or wide, from side-to-side as viewed from the front/door), this would cause your head to further away fr/the other side wall. since the Lunar is NOT rectangular, your shoulders would then be placed in a postion where the angled back wall will be further away from you. this would give you more shoulder room & the impression of a roomier shelter than if you positioned your head closer to a side wall (which would occur if you “centered” your bag along the 88″ instead of offsetting the foot of your bag towards one side/end). since there is 15″ of bug netting on the four sides, there is little chance of the toe of your bag contacting the side wall.

if you go for the Europa, after musing on this decision for a while & taking into consideration all of the pros & cons, then you prob. haven’t made the wrong choice. take it slow, you will figure out what’s best for you.

here’s a costly lesson i’ve learned, rarely have i ever had to make use of a “just in case”. you know what i mean, right? i buy something, or get something a bit larger/more robust, “just in case”. 98% of the time, or more, the “just in case” never happens. and when it does, it’s never been a “life or death” situation. for that small percentage of time, comfort may be somewhat compromised, but never has safety. in my case, “just in case” means: “just in case my paranoia eventually occurs”. when i find that what i purchased was “overkill”, i end up giving it away to someone i know, or selling it very cheaply (to teach myself a lesson not to impulse buy – esp. if it’s on sale), and then buying what i should have gotten in the first place.

my suggestion, is to take the advice of the other posters here (they have far more L/UL experience than i have). this is exactly what i plan to do next november when i get my first ever winter tent (an ‘Akto’ based upon K.S.’s experience & recommendations in her posts in other threads on this website).

whichever, shelter you get (Europa or Lunar), if later on you think you’d prefer the other, i would think that you should have no trouble selling either of these fine shelters on this website. hey…i’d buy the Lunar Solo ‘e’ from you in a heartbeat (that is, b/f mid-July ’05 when i’ll be ordering one for myself from SMD).

hope these thoughts help you to make a wise decision.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Stuart,

Paul knows of my equipment weight woos as a nature and landscape photographer with heavy camera gear. I have one of those larger and heavier internal frame McHale packs – 5 1/2 lb, 5000 cu in. main compartment panel loading packs. I am carrying 15 lbs or more of film based camera gear (including a LowePro Orion Beltpack to protect the equipment) in and strapped to the pack. My base weight including this pack at this time of year can vary between 13 1/2 and 16 pounds including the pack with the new Lunar Solo Enhanced tent.

I opted for the Lunar Solo Enhanced to continue to lower the weight of my pack and equipment and I believe that it will be of sufficient size for my needs with the larger pack and the photo gear.

Jeff White

@meckanik

Thought I’d chime in here with my experience so far with my Europa 05. I replaced the main guyline with BPL Aircore Pro Dyneema, and using that same ‘rope’ added a guyline to the front vestibule and the sides. I’ve had the tent out twice now and I’m pretty impressed for the weight. It tends to be a little cool in the tent (I’ve been camping @ aroung 5K feet the last few weeks)even though I rig it for low airflow and that of course causes some condensation on the single wall portion of the tent. Setup is a breeze; it packs very small and light, plenty of head room and room for gear. It’s a bit small for two guys (depending on your comfort zone!) but very nice for my girlfriend and I. I have not had the tent exposed to much wind or rain yet, so I can’t comment on it’s performance in that area.

FWIW, I’m looking at the Lunar for solo or ‘odd man out’ hiking trips – it looks great for the weight! I’m also thinking about checking out Six Moon’s Comet (putting down my Atmos 50 will be tough tho).

Feel free to ping me for more info.

-Jeff

stuart shahan

@phatmanforya

P.J. I do the same thing; I often buy more that what I need. I looked at the tent lay outs and measured it like you suggested, the solo will do just fine for me, and in the case that I do bring someone with me I’ll take one of my old 7 pound tent; if they don’t have their own equipment they probably won’t want to go on a hike more than 8 or 9 miles.

Also I see your point about going lighter in steps, it would cost a lot if you bought a new tent every time you wanted to go lighter.

But any way I’m going to order the tent tonight. thanx

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good choice!

My two tents are (1) BA Seedhouse SL 2 for deluxe solo use and (2) SMD Lunar (for lightweight solo).

Now, Stuart, you just need to “agonize” over your 4-season tent! :)

Curious, have you looked at the Sierra Designs Solomente?

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Stuart,

I agree, good choice on the tent. Hope you enjoy it.

stuart shahan

@phatmanforya

I have taken a look at the Solomente, it looks a lot like the Seedhouse. lots of room too. but it’s a single wall, I thought one would want a double wall tent for winter?

I like the snow and the cold and would realy like to try snowshoeing but I doubt I have the money after summer. I still have a project buggy to finish this before fall; then it’s back to school and won’t have time for a job. I’m going to try to finish English this year and I hate hate hate Eniglish.

paul johnson

@pj

Ben,

What do you think of the Hilleberg Akto or BD Firstlight for winter use?

Right now, I use an Integral Designs eVENT Unishelter for winter use. However, I’d also like to have one larger, but still solo, shelter for the winter.

Right now, I’m leaning towards the Akto (based upon K.S’s experience/advice/posts) since the Firstlight is made of Epic & Epic’s below freezing performance has a potential drawback, i.e. moisture in the process of being transported outward freezing in the fabric & “blocking” the “pores” b/t the threads of the Epic fabric, thus effectively limiting/eliminating breathability. I forget where I read this, but I’m thinking it was on this website – perhaps even something by one of BPL’s staff, but I’m not sure about the source of this info.

Also, when one includes the vestibule in the wt. of the Firstlight, the Akto actually comes out to be a bit lighter.

[BTW, have only “glanced” at the Solomente web page at this point.]

Any thoughts on your part? Anyone else have any opinions/experience with these shelters?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Paul:

I’ve only “played” with the BD Firstlight for a few days, so no real experience at all. Here are my observations:

1. The fabric is very thin and lightweight. Unlike most other BD tents, this one is meant for 3-season use.

2. The fabric is rain resistant — not rain proof. But I expect it will handle light snow just fine. It resists rain pretty well — for up to nine hours (timing varies with humidity, rain conditions, etc.). If you get a break in the rain, the fabric dries very, very quickly.

3. I DON’T like having the poles inside the tent. Sure, it’s easy to set up, but after that, these COLD metallic poles are absolutely condensation magnets!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Stuart:

There are both single and double wall tents that are excellent winter tents. Hilleberg (double wall) and Bibler (single wall) are examples.

Single wall has the advantage of lighter weight and easier set up. If looking for a single wall tent, I would only consider those with breathable fabrics (Bibler, SD Solomente, etc.).

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Stuart,

Integral Designs (www.integraldesigns.com) makes some of the best 4 season single walled mountaineering tents available made of the breathable Tegraltex (and unfortunately no longer available in eVENT).

Additionally, Stephenson’s Warmlite(www.warmlite.com) makes fine light 4 season single and double walled tents made of silnylon.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

The firstlight is actually a very wonderful 4 season tent for those under 6 ‘–although taller people can use as a solo tent if they sleep on the diagonal. In fact BD designed these tents to be fast and light tents for alpinists for all seasons. I have the larger Lighthouse,which due to it’s door design (whole front wall unzips) is less suited for winter or alpine climbing uses. However, it performed fantastically on several ski-packing trips I took last winter in the Trinity Alps and Cascades. It took snow loads and high winds very well and had minimal condensation–no more than the double wall tents that were on the same trips. I’ve read the report of Epic winter condensation issues but have not experienced it.

Furthermore,because one sets up the tent from inside, it is easier to set up and get out of inclement weather and winds than exterior pole configured tents. The Firstlight needs far fewer stakes to stormproof than the Akto,this is the Akto’s major weakness in my opinion–stakes,stakes,and more stakes (plus,some more). The Firstlight is also far roomier than the Akto–6’2″ me can sit comfortably in the former but not at all in the Akto.

The Akto wins in the vestibule dept.–can’t think of
    a better one for a tent of it’s size.I don’t use the BD vestibule–which allows me to save weight — but in the Lighthouse means that some precipitation can follow entry/exit (I have mastered the venerable art of the dive and zip).The Akto,because of the vestibule, would be an easier tent to do cooking inside . Although I have cooked inside the BD tents–If you can vent you’re fine.The Firstlight is better designed than the LH for bad weather cooking but I suggest using one of the hanging stove set ups (bibler used to make one,MSR and I think Primus both offer models.

If ID were still producing eVent tents (sigh) they would be the only tents I think that would outperform the BD tents among the very lightest 4 season shelters.

stuart shahan

@phatmanforya

knowing that a single wall made of waterproof fabric works almost as well if not as well at a double wall tent the Solomente look like a good choice, but I’ll wait a year for more reviews to come out about it. If you want to see more pics of it go here ( http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9869 )

Integral Designs had some nice tents too I liked the mk1, 46” wide is a little tight but I could live with that. But then I saw the note
    (Note: Due to a change in licensing agreement, MK tents are no longer available in eVENT fabric for consumer use. MK Tents in Tegraltex fabric are not available for retail sale in Canada or the following US States: CA, NY, NJ, MI, MN, LA, MA)
    What’s that about? Anyway I can buy that unless I have it shipped to a out of state friend then shipped to me. I’m in CA.
    I like Warmlight too. 1- 1.5 lbs per person light but how weather worthy are they? One thing I liked was how big they were on the inside.
    Black Diamond Firstlight Tent big enough but I ? the epic.
    And last the Akto, way too small for me I’m a wide guy.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

GE the new owner of BHA Technologies (the maker and inventor of eVENT) decided to take eVENT off the market after this year for the purposes of making tents due to the fact that the material is not flame retardant and they did not want any liability issues. I believe that the same reason holds true for the Tegraltex fabric in the states listed on the ID website; perhaps someone else can shed light on this.

I was fortunate to get one of the last available MK1 Lite eVENT tents right after the announcement was made in February. I have yet to put it in service. The MK eVENT tents were considered some of the best mountaineering tents ever offered. The Tegraltex version is not as breathable, but it is a tried design and very well respected. This version is also a little heavier than the version in eVENT.

You can read the review of the MK1 Lite eVENT here on BPL at: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/integral_designs_mk1lite_event_tent_review.html

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

I just wanted to remind folks that Exped still offers the Polaris, not a one person tent as Stuart is looking for, but of interest in this thread becuase it is made from eVENT, with integral vestibule, and should be long enough for tall folk. If you are interested in this tent, I’d recommend outfitting it with the “optional” fourth pole for fourth season use. I have one myself. Alhtough the US website (via OR) says that it is just 3-layer PTFE, it is definitely made from eVENT, this is not just my “hunch.” But, then again, I am not at liberty to say here why I know, so if this bugs you, don’t take my word for it and accept my sincere apologies. Simple enough.

Donald Horst

@donhorst

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Since you mentioned comfort and are willing to carry 3 lbs, I am surprised that only Dwayne Thompson mentioned the Stephenson Warmlite 2RS. He said he had limited experience with it, so I will add a couple of things. I have three Stephensons in the family, [two 2RS and one 3RS], and hike with a friend who has all three sizes. One of mine dates back to 1978, and I have used them in almost all kinds of weather.

Down sides:

1. Not free standing. This has never been a problem for me. On solid rock, hiking poles weighted down by rocks work great. And it is one of the easiest tents to set up.

2. Three pounds: not for the true ultalighter.

3. Expensive

Positives: Everything else.

Compared to the true ultralight tents I have considered, this is a palace. It is a large, two-person tent, so it is huge for one person. I don’t really need all that space, but anything much lighter is so much less comfortable and versatile that I am happy to carry the extra pound.

It may be the best ventilated four-season tent you can get. Get the side windows. I tie up the side flaps for clear, buggy weather, or extend the flaps like awnings when it rains. I rarely button up the tent completely unless it is very cold or snowing.

Every company makes a two-hoop tent, but no one has copied the Stephenson design features, like the side windows, adjustable tension straps, lining, pre-curved poles, etc. Jack Stephenson claims to have invented the two-hoop tent back in the 1950’s.

Unless you get the end cones lined [not recommended], you will get some condensation on them in certain types of rain storms, but minimal wiping takes care of it. Some people have complained about it, but it has never bothered me.

Of course, what works for you depends on what you are willing to put up with and where you hike. My interest is in the lightest I can go with complete comfort, not ultralight distance hiking. My base pack ranges from 11 lbs. for fair weather with nights above 50F [bivy sack instead of tent], to 20 lbs with tent, warm bag, warm cloths, and bear canister. I normally hike in the California Sierra, which can mean bugs, snow, and heavy rain/hail storms most of the year. The only conditions I have not used the tents in are prolonged, warm, wet weather.

So if you are not a hard core ultralighter and are willing to pay the price in dollars and weight, I don’t see any competition. Others may differ. :-)

paul johnson

@pj

Donald,

What is your experience with Stephenson as a company?

Have read other posts that they are a good company ***IF*** you don’t have any product related problems.

What has your experience been if any problems with their product were experienced?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    pj

Charles Maguire

@hikelite

Locale: Virginia

I am told two and gear can fit in 2X or R. How accurate is this? Are you crunched or is it roomy?

I researched light weight tents with an emphasis on weight and adding my 8 year old when hiking together.

Aside from cost, I think the Warmlite offer the most versatility with the lightest weight. Once ordered (soon) I will use it mostly in winter and 3 season trips with son.

Chuck

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

In a snow storm, how do you cook inside a warmlite that has no unfloored area? How would you vent the cooking area when the ends slope downward?

Donald Horst

@donhorst

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Paul, I like Stephenson’s as a company very much. A few years ago, when I was in New England, I made a pilgrimage to Stephenson’s shop/home. But you have to understand that you are dealing with only two or three people, and Jack, the originator, is a crusty old guy. He is very opinionated, does not suffer fools gladly, and is not too concerned about maintaining good customer relations. :-)

The company is run by his son and his manager, Jane now, but you still might get Jack if you call on the phone. If you call to complain about something and he disagrees or thinks you misused his equipment, he will tell you so in no uncertain terms. Some people are put off by this. I have found Jane very helpful, and they are good about fixing things, but may charge you.

Chuck: re two in a 2RS , it is one of the largest two-person tents made, in floor space. It is about 12 feet long. I got my first one in 1978 so I could backpack on longer trips with my six-year-old son. With him, or my sister, in bad weather we put our boots in the small cone at our feet, and our packs between our heads and the door. There is plenty of room to do that, although you have to climb over/between your packs to get out, of course. The tent is only tall enough for me to sit upright under the big hoop. If you want LOTS of room, a 3RS weighs a pound more, but has room for four adults to sit comfortably. It also has doors at both ends. My son has one. It still is not much heavier than the worst of the one-person tents, and beats most two person models.

John: I am not a winter camper by choice. I have been in a number of late spring or early fall snow storms, but I always cooked outside. In fact, because of the bear problems in the Sierra, I try to keep all food out of the tent. I think one could cook inside with something to protect the floor. There is a vent at the top of the front hoop. But you would have to ask someone else for experience doing that.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools