Topic

Two DIY Dry Cream of Mushroom Soup Mixes (1 vegan, 1 regular)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Two DIY Dry Cream of Mushroom Soup Mixes (1 vegan, 1 regular)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

These were two recipes I posted in the last week on the blog. Enjoy!

First is a vegetarian but "normal" recipe:
     photo CMSMix1_zpsdd7860b5.jpg

Dry Cream of Mushroom Soup Mix

Ingredients:

1 cup dry milk
    6 Tbsp cornstarch
    ¼ cup dried shiitake mushrooms, crumbled
    2 Tbsp veggie broth mix
    1 Tbsp dried parsley
    1 tsp dried onion powder
    ½ tsp dried thyme
    ½ tsp dried basil
    ½ tsp fine sea salt
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    Directions:

Mix dry ingredients together.

Makes about 20 Tablespoons, or 4 batches worth. Store in an airtight container, such as a mason jar, shake before using.

To make soup, add 5 Tablespoons mix to 1 cup water, heat over a low flame till thickened, whisking preferably, constantly.

photo CMS1_zps0d81f807.jpg

Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Rice

Pack in a quart freezer or sandwich bag:

1 cup instant rice, white or brown
    5 Tbsp dry cream of mushroom soup mix
    2 Tbsp shelf-stable Parmesan cheese (the green can kind)
    Also take:

1 packet (half of package) chicken nuggets, or a 3 ounce can of chicken breast, with pull-top
    FBC Method:

Bring 1¼ cups water to a near boil, add to rice bag along with chicken and broth, stirring. Seal tightly and put in a FBC cozy, let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Cuff bag down, stir well.

Insulated Mug Method:

Bring 1¼ cups water to boil, add it to an insulated mug with chicken and broth and dry ingredients, stir and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes, stir well.

One Pot Method:

Bring 1¼ cups water to boil in a pot, add in chicken with broth and rice mixture. Take off heat, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. In cooler temperatures or at altitude, use a pot cozy. Stir well.

Serves 1.

The second recipe is vegan friendly – using a favorite of mine, creamed coconut.

photo VeganCMS1_zpse13a59a8.jpg

Vegan Dry Cream of Mushroom Soup Mix

Ingredients:

½ cup Creamed Coconut, see notes on this
    3 Tbsp Potato Starch
    2 Tbsp dried shiitake mushrooms, crumbled
    1 Tbsp veggie broth mix
    1½ tsp dried parsley
    ½ tsp onion powder
    ¼ tsp dried thyme
    ¼ tsp dried basil
    ¼ tsp fine sea salt
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Directions:

Makes about 10 Tablespoons, or 2 batches worth. Store in an airtight container, shake before using.

To make soup, add 5 Tablespoons mix to 1 cup water, heat over a low flame till thickened, whisking preferably, constantly.

Notes:

If in warmer temperatures (above mid 70′s), store the mix in the refrigerator, as creamed coconut will melt in higher temps.

Creamed coconut comes in bars. Chill the bar, wrapped,for a while, put on food grade gloves and finely grate with a box grater. Gently add grated coconut to a mason jar, store sealed (and if in hotter temps, store in the refrigerator).

Creamed coconut is similar to coconut butter, my method of grating makes it easy to use, where coconut butter is hard to get out of the jar.

I used potato starch, thinking of a good friend who can’t have cornstarch and is gluten-free as well. If, unlike me, you don’t have a vast and deep pantry full of odd flours in mason jars, just use cornstarch.

photo VeganCMS2_zps9f832b88.jpg

Trashy ‘Shroom Rice

Pack in a quart freezer bag or sandwich bag:

1 cup instant rice, white or brown
    5 Tbsp dry cream of mushroom mix
    Also take:

1¼ ounce bag potato chips
    FBC Method:

Bring 1¼ cups water to a near boil, add to rice bag, stirring. Seal tightly and put in a FBC cozy, let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Cuff bag down, stir and top with crumbled potato chips.

Insulated Mug Method:

Bring 1¼ cups water to boil, add it to an insulated mug with dry ingredients, stir and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Stir and top with crumbled potato chips.

One Pot Method:

Bring 1¼ cups water to boil in a pot, add in rice mixture. Take off heat, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. In cooler temperatures or at altitude, use a pot cozy.

Stir rice and top with the crushed potato chips.

Notes:

If using brown rice, I recommend the one pot method, as it needs a little extra love, the hot pan and boiling water do the trick.

Weight of dry mix is 5½ ounces plus 1¼ ounces for the potato chips. On the potato chips? Lays works the best. Thin, greasy and salty……

Serves 1.

http://blog.trailcooking.com/2013/02/27/new-recipes-vegan-dry-cream-of-mushroom-soup-mix-trashy-shroom-rice/

http://blog.trailcooking.com/2013/02/28/new-recipes-dry-cream-of-mushroom-soup-mix-and-creamy-chicken-rice/

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

Thanks for these, Sarah!! I am definitely going to do this. Delish! I imagine you could make cream of chicken using chicken bullion in a similar manner, for those of us who are meatavores.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Thanks for sharing these.

Was just thinking the other day of trying to come up with some kind of cream of mushroom base that I could add instant rice and some dehydrated chicken to.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yes Heather! And you could do a beef one with beef bouillon powder as well :-) Also, if you do the chicken route, consider crumbling up some freeze-dried chicken into it….that would be extra tasty!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Nico, I hope you enjoy it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools