Topic

Zpack Cloud Kilt Issues?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpack Cloud Kilt Issues?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I picked up a Zpacks Cloud Kilt on the Gear Swap Forum a few weeks ago. I tried it on this weekend while doing some stairs near my house. The Cloud Kilt has 3 sets of velcro closures; one at the waist line, one mid-thigh, and one at the bottom. I fasted all 3 velcro closures and it seemed to fit well. Walking was fine. Taking stairs one at a time was fine. Taking stairs 2 at time immediately causes the lowest velcro closure to pop open and sometimes the middle velcro closure to pop open as well. Taking anything higher then 2 stairs causes both the lower velcro closure and middle velcro closure to pop open every time. I am 6' tall, 210 lbs. The waist fits nicely, with room to spare, so it looks like a range of motion issue. Have any Cloud Kilt owners had this same problem? Any issues taking large steps over rocks, logs or roots? If so, was it a long term problem? Thanks.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Yep…guess what we have to go through to show off our awesome legs for you guys???

Now just add the girdle, the spanks tummy tucker and some hose and you're all set!

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

I am just secure in my manhood, and I usually hike solo . . .

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I would have to hike solo if I wore a kilt! Its hard enough for me to find other people to hike with much less if I wore something like that. They already think I'm a little off my rocker with my tarp, quilt, and frameless pack. I'm not sure they could handle a tall, scrawny guy in a translucent skirt :D

Adam

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I know of two folks here who wear kilts, but not necessarily cloud kilts. Still, they may be able to shed some light on your question. Try PM'ing either Matthew Perry (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/profile.html?u=bigfoot2) or Evan McCarthy (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/profile?u=evanrussia). Both are helpful guys.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

No experience with a cloud kilt, but you could add a snap as a possible solution. Only adds 1 gram.

Ryan

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

no experience, but I would expect it to be open when taking long strides, or climbing. I would expect the overlap in the rear to spread open and close as necessary, somewhat.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I think Zpacks are looking at making these a bit more conical in shape, which should help. Mine works fairly well, until I need to take a big step up. I have thought about making the bottom closure stretchy in some way, but haven't come up with a solution yet.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

The Zpacks Cloud Kilt is a rain kilt not a hiking kilt.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Ha! Yeah- wear shorts under it. lol

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I wouldn't necessary call this an issue so much as the way it is designed to work. The Velcro tabs are actually a new feature on the cloudkilts, and has already been mentioned, the cloudkilt is now more conical shaped. The first versions were simply a rectangular shaped piece of cuben fiber with hemmed edges. The top edge had a velcro closure on each end and a piece of shock cord inside the top hem to tighten/cinch the waist up. There was also a loop on the 2 top corners. Now it seems that they have listened to some of the users and made the improvements.

I do wish that the cloudkilt was a bit wider, say as much as 10 – 12 inches, at least towards the bottom. This would allow the bottom edges to stay closed during longer/wider strides, but depending on the stride, may not stay closed for each and every one of them. Also, I would not suggest adding anything that secures the bottom edges together. For those unexpected wide strides, the cloudkilt needs to be able to pull apart/open so the user can do so without resistance, and to lessen strain on the material.

If the one you have is too much trouble, I would suggest to get in touch with Matt and ask them if they can custom make one a bit wider… I have often thought of doing this, but havent't felt like going through the hassle of selling one to buy another… maybe one day I will… :)

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Adam – Yes, I am going full gear geek this summer by adding the Cloud Kilt. You should see me doing my camp chores on cold mornings wearing my Feathered Friends Rock Wren sleeping bag. If you can think of anything else that would make me look like a bigger dork on the trail let me know, I am willing to try. If only there were a cuben loin cloth . . . I will likely be hiking solo whether I want to or not.

Doug – I will drop those guys a line, thanks.

Chad – Thanks for the thoughtful review and advice. I enjoy your blog for that very reason. I may try out the cuben chaps and sell the one I like the least. I may also discuss a custom CK with a more conical design with the Zpacks folks.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

The thing that makes you look like a bigger dork would be the CCF insulation jacket!

Awesome multiuse- I'm sure it works… just looks dumb.

Whoever has that giant yellow Raku 0F is in the running too!! LOL

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Edward,

I've had similar problems with kilts.

To keep my the front of my thighs warm in cold, wet, windy weather I currently let my closed cell foam poncho serve double duty. I stuff the front of the poncho into my pants and it hangs down to about the crotch level of my pants.

x

In the past I've also added extensions that go down the pant legs on each side so the leg is covered to the knee.

I buy extra large pants to accommodate experiments/gear like this even though I would normally wear medium.

I think your willingness to look like a dork/nerd/whatever is a key ingredient to fully exploring gear possibilities. On the positive side I think few people would call the closed cell poncho girly looking.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

What are you doing Friday night ;-) ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm, i patterned my Tyvek homewrap Kilt off of a real Wool Kilt, and it secures with two sets of velcro–one on each end. So far, no problems with movements, comfort etc., the only problem is that i was stupid and used the sticky velcro stuff, and in not wanting to gum up my sewing machine, didn't sew it.

Some parts of the velcro have started to come off. I'm going to use some Gorilla glue, and a little tyvek tape to fix it.

If i ever make another, i will only sew non sticky velcro on. Have thought about making a Cuben fabric one, but since the Tyvek one only weights a couple of oz's, not sure the cost would be justified for weight savings–maybe more for long term durability?

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Jeffs – I think the Raku beats the Rock Wren by a nose in the dork arms race. No pun intended.

Daryl- You are my new gear hero. I did not know there was such a thing as a CCF Poncho! I am intrigued, anyone made one into a poncho/ground sheet yet? I am a sucker for anything multi-use. You are right, the CCF Poncho looks less girly but more sci-fi dork then the Cloud Kilt.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Edward,

"anyone made one into a poncho/ground sheet yet"

It's kind of in reverse.

Take any closed cell foam pad, put a hole in the center and it is done. It still serves as a sleep pad. When making the head hole you can leave a flap (or flaps) of foam in the hole so there isn't a hole in the pad when you sleep on it. I didn't do this on the one in the photo.

I've done a lot of experimenting with foam clothing but there is a LOT of room for improvement.

The multi use potential includes sleep pad, insulating coat, rain coat and kilt. To preserve the warmth of these ponchos they need to be enclosed in a windbreaker or raincoat.

I like closed cell foam clothing because it retains most of its insulating value when wet. My clothing is usually wet from either rain or sweat. I've used a closed cell foam float-coat for several years now. I'm trying to replace its 1.5 pounds weight with a lighter myog version.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Yeah…. Okay, extra points for thinking outside the box, but the look is kinda "Star Trek VIII, the Wrath of Daryl"

I'm dyin' to know, is that a duct tape helmet?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dale,

"is that a duct tape helmet"

Hat (helmet)is made of closed cell foam held together by, yes, duct tape.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools