Topic

GSMNP Question…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning GSMNP Question…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Hey Guys…Heading to GSMNP for a few days April 1st…made our reservations, ready to go.

We've never been before and, before I call the backcountry office, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is kosher to set-up tents next to/near shelters or if you must use the shelter itself…???

TIA
    -Mark in St. Louis

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

At shelters, you can only stay with a reservation, and you can only sleep in the shelter. The only exception is for AT thru-hikers, who are only allowed to camp if the shelter is completely full.

Because there's no camping at shelters, you will be hard-pressed to find a good tent site near most shelters. Luckily, the GSMNP shelters are really nice.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Mark, as Scott mentioned you're not supposed to camp by the shelters but my experience is that people often do, usually because they can't sleep with snorers, and the shelters I've seen would accomodate a tent or three close by. I've not seen anyone get in trouble for doing it but I suspect it happens…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

As mentioned you can not set your tent up beside the AT shelters in the park. This is due to the high volume of traffic in these sensitive areas. The shelters must be reserved and I think most of them in the park sleep 12. The exception is during thru hiker season when 4 spots are "reserved" for thru hikers and other thru hikers are allowed to set up outside the shelter. I think the fine is $250 if they catch you without a permit though I have never seen a ranger in the backcountry except at LeConte and when one hiked in for a medical emergency. I do see ridge runners occasionally though.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Guys…We have the reservations in place.

Double Spring Gap
    Icewater Springs
    Mt. LeConte

Just wanted to know the possibility of pitching the tent(s) if necessary…snorers, partiers, whatever.

TA
    -Mark

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Icewater and LeConte are the two most likely places to see a ranger btw. I know that one often stays in the LeConte lodge and checks permits at the shelter. Less likely to see a ranger at Double Springs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools