Topic

My shield sunburst yellow solo pyramid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My shield sunburst yellow solo pyramid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Greg Peters

@gpeters01

I finally got around to building a solo pyramid tent. I've been wanting to do this for some time so I finally bit the bullet. I ordered 8 yards of silnylon from Thru-Hiker and used some lightweight Gutterman thread. In addition, I recycled the hard wear off of an old MSR Hubba rainfly. The final dimensions came in at around 48 inches high and 102 inches long.Solo Pyramid

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Very nice. How much does it weigh?

You must use treking poles in inverted V

Must have a zipper in the middle of one side?

Greg Peters

@gpeters01

Yes Jerry, you're right. I'm using my Black Diamond trekking poles in an inverted V. The zipper is on the other side, not shown in the picture. I just finished sewing on the guyouts this morning and wanted to pitch it to make sure everything was fine before I sewed on the top reinforcement. I will weigh it after I've finished with the top and post. Thanks for all your past post on the subject

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Looks great! Yellow silnylon is my favorite shelter color, it's so cheery.

Did you consider adding tie-outs at mid height on any of the 4 sides? If it were me, I'd add those if you plan on using it in high winds or possible snow loads.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very clean. Have you considered a vent of some kind?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Well done Greg!

Love my yellow Trailstar.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Have tried it with yourself inside on top of a mat and inside your sleeping bag ?

Greg Peters

@gpeters01

Yes Andrew, I agree with you. This was my first pitch just to make sure I had my geometry right. I'm going to go back and sew on a top reinforcement and I'm going to add some side guyout points. Thanks

Greg Peters

@gpeters01

Good point Dale, this is my first attempt at a shelter like this so I was a little worried about trying to construct a top vent. I am planning a second attempt with a top vent I just have to set down a draw up a design.

Greg Peters

@gpeters01

I did get inside of it today with a ground cloth and my summer bag. I designed it to fit me so it's pretty tight, but I did have plenty of room to lay down and put my pack beside me. I definitely believe the head and toe room will improve with side guyouts. Thanks!

Greg Peters

@gpeters01

Thanks Todd, I got the idea for the yellow from MLD for sure. I just recently ordered the Duomid I can't wait to get it! Are you using the Trailstar in all seasons?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If it's tight, and you can extend your poles higher, or maybe move them closer together making the peak taller, there'de be more room.

Greg Peters

@gpeters01

Thanks Jerry

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Hi Greg,

The Trailstar works anytime and most anywhere. Down here in FL, weather takes a backseat (in the worry dept) to critters, especially fire ants, so the SMD Serenity accompanies me with it in all but the coldest times.

You mentioned your 'mid is sized for you. It feels great to have something that's custom-fit for you, doesn't it? :) The gear I love most is always "just right" for my style. Happy for ya!

Todd

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools