Topic

Montbell Thermawrap jacket or???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell Thermawrap jacket or???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I'm looking for a lightweight synthetic jacket that I can wear in camp, or just starting out on the hike for the day….that I can wear under a rainshell if cold and wet outside, etc. I know Patagoochi has the nano puff, but are there other jackets or pull overs that are just as good and a bit cheaper?

thanks!

Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

The MB thermawrap jacket has been my go to jacket for about 5 years, I have contemplated a lighter down jacket, but just have not done it yet ( I prefer down over synthetics as a general rule). You can certainly get lighter, but the MB jacket is nice, and warm. I use it in camp in the 40-50 degree range and I wear it hiking in the 30 range. Please not I do not get as cold as others I have hiked with. One other good thing is that it dries out pretty quickly, I have used it in light rain with no shell several times and it still keeps me pretty warm when damp.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

My synthetic of choice is my older Montbell Thermawrap Parka (UL…I think). It is a little longer than most for added warmth down to my butt, more (thicker)insulation than the jacket version, and is a masterpiece of craftsmanship – I still marvel at MB's attention to detail on this!

The hood is great around camp and for adding that cozy touch under my quilt on the colder nights.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Todd,
    I think that would be overkill for me, temp-wise. I have a Micro Puff and it's so hot for me that I rarely wear it. I get pretty warm when I hike, even in the 25-30 degree range, so I'd like something a bit less warm. I do have the MB UL down vest, but for outer wear I prefer the synthetics. It gets wetter here in the MId Atlantic states and I'm thinking even with a light shell over it, I would be plenty warm. My sleeping quilt is down….I like the natural product.

BTW…have their sizes changed at all since 2008? I wear a medium ladies and had to size up to a large for the vest that fits perfect.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

"I get pretty warm when I hike, even in the 25-30 degree range, so I'd like something a bit less warm"

I wouldn't use a NanoPuff or a ThermaWrap on the move, especially given the fact that you're warm on the move just below freezing…..I'd use a fleece.

For around camp and on colder nights when I need to extend my bag's rating, I really like the ThermaWrap Parka.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

What weight fleece would be right? I want it to pack small as well.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

For being on the move, I really love the Marmot Driclime. It's the one piece of gear I always bring along. It is great for layering, breathes well, but is good in wind. It might be just right for you, given that you tend to be on the warmer side. I think the Thermawrap would be warmer, which may or may not be a good thing for you. My impression of fleece is that it tends to be pretty heavy for warmth.

Mark Verber had an older one at the gear swap at the recent GGG that I don't think got sold – a men's large, but I think it would still be fine to wear if you're not looking for a fashion statement (or if you feel like altering it), and a good bargain. You could try contacting him.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

LLBean Packaway Pullover is $99 with free shipping

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I agree with John, hiking in either a nanopuff or the thermawrap at 25-30 degrees will sweat you out. I am warm in either one just walking to work at 30-35 degrees. Try a lightweight fleece instead, almost any cheap $25 one will do. I use a cheap Columbia fleece in the ~10oz (XL)range all the time.

Ryan

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Donna,

I couldn't wear the Thermawrap while hiking either (unless it's below 30 – and then only for a short time).

The hard part for you is you are looking for one piece of gear to perform two separate and sometimes very different, tasks. What is comfortable at rest vs. what is comfortable on the move, under load, going uphill, are two very different insulating items.

What I think will work best for you may in fact be the above-mentioned fleece (probably any Columbia-quality microfleece) and combine it with a windshirt and rain shell for added warmth when needed for more warmth.

Todd

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I picked up a Nano Puff full zip and I've been wearing it for errands and travel for the last few months. I've come to the conclusion that much of the warmth is due to the outer fabric, which doesn't breath well at all.

I can see the appeal of these thinly insulated jackets: they look good and feel nice and they are lightweight. There's no way I could hike in the Nano Puff. It is fine walking a city street with no pack on, or as I might on a rest stop or in camp.

I still think that a good breathable windshirt and a light mid-layer like an R1 or Power Stretch hoody will make for a more versatile combo and trumps the Nano Puff and Thermawrap. For anything colder, I think you get more use for the weight with a 100g or so synthetic puffy, or a light down sweater. Bottom line: the Nano Puff is too sweaty and not warm enough for use as a belay/camp puffy.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Thanks for the insight. I was hiking yesterday..day hike..did 10 miles and it was light snow, 21 degrees. Underneath I wore 2 layers of both Icebreaker 260 with my micro puff. Within minutes I took off the micro puff and just added my old LL Bean wind jacket, which is as light as a Houdini and I was perfect. I've worn this combo in sleet, snow and wind. However…once at the shelter for lunch I got chilled and threw on the micropuff.

My main concern is that I am going to backpack in Glacier this August for 10 days and I have never been west, so I have no idea what I need for camp. I'm looking at maybe worse case 30 degrees in the evenings/nights/morning. I can take my MB vest and I'm not sure what else I need for outer wear beside a rain shell. There are so many options. I really want to stay under 20lbs. I have ordered the Contrail so my Hubba will stay home.

So I'm not sure what I should bring. My Micro puff is overkill, I'm thinking. Sheesh…

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Similar situation here, I am from the midwest and now venture out west and up north occasionally where I am sometimes unsure what conditions will be like.

I have found that a 100wt fleece rainshell/windshirt, and MontBell Ex Light jacket to be good for 25 to 50 degrees. You get the warmth of down, versatility of synthetic fleece, and can combine it all to dip right below freezing. I sleep in the fleece too so no extra shirt is needed.

My lightest 100wt fleece weighs ~8oz, the Ex Light ~6oz. That is still lighter than your Micro Puff and much more versatile.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Yes, my puff weighs 15.9 0z.

I'm leaning towards the lightweight fleece. It seems to be more versatile and cheaper. If I can find the 10oz that would be good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools