Topic

Need pack help, suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need pack help, suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Edwin Lamberth
    BPL Member

@alfisher

I am fairly new to this BPL thing. As folks have suggested, I have waited until the end of my new purchases to buy a pack. I am there now.

Don't laugh, but I need suggestions on a pack that will hold up to 40lbs comfortably. Why so much you ask? First, I fish and as you know fisherman like to bring lots of junk. I am scaling this down in hopes of making to 33-35 lbs, but in case I can't, I want 40lbs of load carrying ability. Second, I figure if I overshoot a little, the pack will definitely be comfortable with lighter weights. Finally, I am sure I will take my kids hiking/camping again and it will be nice to have the ability to carry as much of their stuff as possible.

So far, I am looking at the ULA Catalyst (add the frame sheet), Kelty Soar, GG Nimbus Ozone and GG Nimbus Meridian. Any other suggestions? Unforunately, except for the Kelty and maybe one of the GG's, I won't be able to try before I buy.

Thanks.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I'd really consider the ULA pack. I think they're best in class. There are many, many happy Granite Gear owners out there, as well. Another line to which you should give is the Osprey Atmos series.

Lapsley Hope

@laps

I'll second the ULA.
    Just used the Catalyst for 3 days in the N.C. mountains and while this was my first outing with this pack I can say confidently that it deserves all the positive comments I've read about previously. Very comfortable, fit my torso perfectly, never shifted and has plenty of space inside and out for extended hikes.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have owned the ULA P-2, P-1, and the Conduit and love all 3. Awesome packs that are made very well. Oh and ULA has great customer service too!!!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Another huzzah for ULA. Happy user of a P1 and hopefully future owner of the ULA made Arctic1000 Pack. Great design and workmanship. The suspension of the larger ULA packs are very comfortable, the materials used, very durable, and the semi-custom approach to sizing and options, a great touch. Ditto great customer service.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

See nobody laughed, gosh nobody even laughed very hard when I asked the same kind of question and mentioned many,many pounds of climbing equipment which is way more silly then fishing.
    Now if Ron Bell would whip up a sul float tube we'ld be onto something.
    I think you are on the cusp of needing an internal frame pack, maybe something like the granite gear nimbus meridian or meridian vapor, there are a ton of packs reviewed in the review section why don't you take a look.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

I would also say go for the ULA Catalyst. While the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone may have a more comfortable backpanel, the suspension on the ULA pack is the finest I've ever felt on a mid-sized pack. I've owned both, but absolutely adore the Catalyst. About the only possible knock is that that back panel gets pretty warm on a hot day in the humid south, but if I wanted total climate comfort, I would just stay in my truck!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Like you, I need to carry 40 lbs sometimes. Carrying gear for my hiking partner, and a rack/rope, a few days of food, 4-season tent, winter sleeping bag, crampons, ice axe, etc.. it can add up. Luckly the rest of my gear is SUL?! :) Also, sometimes you might be carrying a light, but bulky load, 60+ liters is useful then..
    Anyway, the Nimbus Meridian has thick foam pads, and this series of packs gets routine high scores for comfort and utility. The Meridian series includes panel loading; something I will never do without again; what a difference..
    And the Meridian can be stripped down to a bare-bones summit pack when needed.
    http://www.granitegear.com

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Man, it's a good thing you have that ULA because the board chortling was cranking up. My partner carries that pack and laughs at me with my overloaded [my fault] sul pack. I just let him carry the racks of hardware now.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There are lots of good packs out there, but an easy way to narrow it down is to just go with a ULA pack and be done with it. You can't do better. I bought a Circuit for multi-day treks a few months ago to replace a heavier backpack, and liked it so well that I bought the Relay to replace my Arcteryx for day trips. It had its inaugural trip today on an easy 10-mile hike. Why did I even doubt? It is just as comfortable, 1/3 the weight, and can handle ice axe and snowshoes as well as the heavier Arcteryx. Join the true believers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools