Topic

Looking for Trail Runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for Trail Runners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've been very happy with my Salomon XA Comp 3 trail runners — but they are getting worn and will need to be replaced. For those who are familiar with these trail runners, can you tell me what's the closest equivalent nowadays? Thanks.d

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Anyone?

If no actual experience with Salomon above — do you have favorites of trail runners to recommend?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I've been a big fan of Brooks. There are thru-hikers I've met that swear by the Cascadia. It looks ugly, but the rest of the shoe's characteristics look similar to those solomons.

The Brooks Pure Grit 2's look awesome, but I haven't gotten my hands on a pair. The Brooks PureConnect are the best running shoes I've ever used, and my Pure Connect 2's are in the mail.

Happy hunting!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

@Ben,

Salomons, specifically that model of shoe you're referring to, are built on traditional running shoe lasts (10-12mm drop) and a 20-24mm stack height (outsole+midsole+insole). Not until recently has Salomon started tweaking some of their shoe models, for the most part all of their shoe models are all very similar structurally, save for a few upper overlay changes and outsole designs (mixed conditions, trail, road, etc.). If you're looking outside of Salomon, I think you will find that Montrail makes a shoe equivalent to the popular Salomon XA Comp 3. The Montrail Masochist is very similar (heel/toe drop, outsole, mild stability) and a very capable "all around" trail shoe for hiking and backpacking on moderate trails. Years ago when the shoe came out I used them for trail running and backpacking. I felt they were good for established trails and did fairly well off trail, but the lugs weren't up for really loose trail conditions.

Montrail Badrocks are another shoe that is similar to the Salomon XA Comp 3 runners. If you want a shoe that's pretty much spot on in comparison to your aging Salomon XA Comp 3's, go with the Salomon XA Pro 3D ultra- this would be the best equivalent shoe. Just be prepared for sticker shock. Salomon is very expensive for some reason.

Personally, Brooks Pure Grits have worked very well for my running. On my fifth pair at this point and will soon pick up the Pure Grit 2. However, this is purely for trail running, no hiking or backpacks whatsoever. I wouldn't take them backpacking.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Gentlemen:

Thanks — I'll look into Brooks and Montrail both.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Ben, I have the Montrail Mtn. Masochist and find it to be a fine shoe indeed, though it is very thick with padding and hence slow to dry. A shoe that I find to be much better is the Saucony Progrid Outlaw (a mid) and the Peregrine, the low version. These are not at all like the above shoes because they have only a 4mm differential. However, the tread is definitely gnarly enough for off trail, and there is a D ring at the base of the lacing for attaching gaiters, so these are ready for the hinterlands. I'm so sold on the performance of these shoes that they have replaced my former favorites, Montrail and Innov8. Check 'em out!

Happy Trails!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ben,

Can't help you since I still have 3 pairs of the Salomon XA Comp 3 trail runners in the closet. That is the point… if you find a perfect piece of gear, better go buy several copies before the marketing morons change a good thing. Never fails to happen, other than my Chuck Taylor Converse All Stars.

Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

Another shoe I would throw into the mix is the La Sportiva Wildcat. I hiked the PCT on 3 pairs of them (+1 pair of boots for Washington) and they were so comfortable and breathable! I only got 2 small blisters the whole trail. I now have bought a 4th pair that I use all day, everyday for hiking and for work. They may or may not work for you, but for me they are the perfect footwear!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Ben,
    Completely agree with Eugene's assessment. The salomons and montrail mtn masochists are very similar shoes, and both are pretty beefy traditional trail runners (lots of cushion and underfoot protection, but not much flex or ground feel). I used the masochists on my JMT hike, and although they were a bit clunky (compared to my inov8s), I appreciated the underlying rockplate and extra padding. I liked them so much that I picked up another pair when they were on sale. They are priced on clearance in a lot of places right now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools