Topic

Quick question – reapiring sleeping bag rip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Quick question – reapiring sleeping bag rip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Laurence Elliott

@ponderingloz

I just stupidly cut (yes cut) my sleeping bag outer shell. Whats the best way to repair a small hole-rip in ripstop nylon? Its duct tape for the moment but something more permanaent would be nice, cosmetic appearance unimportant

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I got a 1-inch rip in a Mountain Hardwear Phantom bag. I just grabbed some thread & needle and stitched it up. Nothing fancy. Kind of ugly. I don't know the name of the stitch, I just went back and forth a couple times. But it holds without leaks to this day.

I've used standard office scotch tape on Pertex Microlite fabric windshirt before. I used one small square on the inside and one on the outside of the 1/2-cm hole, and amazingly it stayed even a couple times through the washer.
    -Mark

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

Depends on the size of the hole. If its truly small (say 1/2" or less) personally I'd use McNett Seam grip without any sewing. The stuff is rather remarkable. Longer than that…needle and thread.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Emma, don't feel bad. I did the same thing removing the tags on my bag. The hole in mine is small enough that I haven't repaired it yet. The McNett Seam Grip is a great idea that I will have to try as well.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Whats the best way to repair a small hole-rip in ripstop nylon?

Another way is possible if you can get hold of industrail double-sided tape or, better still, transfer tape. A small patch of similar ripstop nylon can be stuck over the cut and polished onto it. Should last several years at least.

Yes, I have used this on other gear.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools