Topic

Ray Jardine examines Cuben Fiber

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Ray Jardine examines Cuben Fiber

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Yes Brian,

Despite his issues, he DEFINITELY deserves some credit for making UL backpacking what it is NOW. It had a place before, and may have developed to where it is today sometime…but Ray had at least some measure of influence an many hikers.

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

After reading wilderness living books and camping books published between 1930s and 1950s, I kind of doubt Jardine's credibility. Some of the authors from that time period were already using the latest available technology at the time such as nylon and plastics and succeeded in hiking long distances and bush-whacking with 10-lbs or 15-lbs base weight.

Even then, authors like Ralph Diaz were doing the same thing as Jardine during the same time period. But we never hear of them because they were participating in other sports like kayaking. But they were also reasonably minimalist (given the limitations of their environment eg. bailing-pumps for sea-faring, packboard for portages and hunting, bicycles for road-touring) taking advantage of the latest technology as well.

After reading the old texts from 70 years ago, I don't really see much of a difference between what Jardine did or what lightweight backpackers do today compared to the old geezers. The only thing which changed is not the philosophy but seizing the oppurunity to take advantage of new farbic and new chemical treatments.

So, now, when I read Jardine's book, the only thing I can see is that he was on the cusp of taking advantage of silnylon whereas his predecessor before him were limited to military-grade nylon and plastic.

The biggest game-changer in regard to weight though is the Leave No Trace philosophy which meant hikers are forced to minimize their impact by taking tent poles, sleeping pads and stoves instead of using local debris.

Even some of the early authors warned against using products of nature as they seen too many accidents caused by inexperienced campers, hikers and woodsmen and one begin to see advice about stoves, poles and sleeping pads emerging in print at that time.

In any other sport, these changes would be considered as innovations. It's only in the hiking world, ultralight became an evangelistic philosophy.

Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools