Topic

How much White Gas for snow camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How much White Gas for snow camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Stuart – If I could get those canisters it would change the numbers somewhat – although not perhaps that much since I based my numbers on 450gm canisters – and the issue of having to take another canister if you need another ounce of fuel is still there.

And no, I've never had a plastic bottle leak in my pack. I keep an eye out for plastic bottles that are thicker and tougher than most, and use those.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

HJ, Thank you for those nice pictures, the stove is pretty compact and neat. I agree that 1.5L fuel bottle is huge. I might just get a 1L bottle. BTW I see Primus suggests to use .32 Jet for Whitegas adn .36 for Canister (default on the stove is .36) what happens if I use Whitegas with default jet size of .36.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

HJ, Thank you for those nice pictures, the stove is pretty compact and neat. I agree that 1.5L fuel bottle is huge. I might just get a 1L bottle. BTW I see Primus suggests to use .32 Jet for Whitegas adn .36 for Canister (default on the stove is .36) what happens if I use Whitegas with default jet size of .36.

That's generally a bad idea. You'll get a mixture that's too rich. You might get some yellow flame and some soot. At the very least you'll use more fuel than you need to.

It's really easy to change the jet. Just pop off the flame spreader, inscrew the old one and put in the new one.

You can get away with using a jet that's too small (i.e. using the 0.32 jet for canister gas), but you don't want to use a jet that's too large (i.e. using the 0.36 jet for white gas). If you use a jet that's too small, you'll reduce your max power output, but if you use a jet that's too large, you'll get inefficient burning.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Thanks HJ. You da stove Guru. I just changed the jet and it was an easy task.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Thanks HJ. You da stove Guru. I just changed the jet and it was an easy task.

You're welcome. And hopefully I do have some decent information on stoves — but take into account what others are saying here and of course use your common sense. Definitely test your set up before you head out.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OOOO Ray, that was a SIGG TOURIST cookset I saw sitting on your picnic table.

That was my first cookset and I still have it. Used to use it with my SVEA 123 stove.

Are we dated or what?

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools