Topic

“The Finest Down Parka Ever” (Patagonia)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “The Finest Down Parka Ever” (Patagonia)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Cheers for that Serge :-)

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I agree with Tom Lyon's comment, "Eventually, after the hype is gone, they are going to realize that they will have to sell these things for prices people can afford." The $700 price tag is aimed at a very elite group. Most people simply don't have the coin to drop that much on a jacket.

I don't get the "limited edition" thing. It's a coat. It's either going to be a closet queen for people who want it to retain full value, or it'll get used. I would not pay a premium to have a "limited edition" coat, because I use mine.

I agree with Eric on the cleaning. "Free" or not (nothing's free- it's built into the price) it would be a PITA to have to send that back once or twice a year and wait for them to clean it and return it. Shoot, I avoid purchasing "dry clean only" items. No way am I going to buy something that has to be cleaned at the factory.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I was freaked out the first couple of times I used the first puffy I ever got, with its thin shell and gossamer feel to it. And that only set me back $130.

I eventually realized that it was just a jacket, that it would hold up just fine if I wasn't totally careless with it, and that it probably performed nearly as well as any other more expensive jackets.

Oohh, I sound like eric.. ;)

Oh, and I'm still using that jacket… and can wash it myself.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Isn't complaining that you have to ship it away to be washed just like complaining that you have to careful with a neoair so you don't puncture it?

We buy gear based on a set of criteria to meet our needs and sacrifices we can live with. So if you are doing lots of hiking and climbing in frigid conditions where loss of loft from sweat is a big issue for you than this jacket has a solution. It has a draw back of needing to be sent away to be washed but really this jacket is a seasonal piece or a trip specific piece so finding a month to not use it shouldn't be too hard.

So complain about the price tag if anything but the real question before complaining is do you have a use for this piece? Are you consistently seeing loft loss in down pieces for use below 0F? Are you looking to look cool wearing the most expensive down jacket you can find? If you do not fall into one of these to categories this jacket really isn't targeted at you.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I dont care if that coat puts out on the first date. No way I'm spending $700 (which is a lot to me) on softgoods.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

well the question isnt about the "problem" of shipping it in … but what will happen with the with other nano-down pieces that will come out …

will we have to ship those in as well, and will they be premium pieces as a result … or will they be stuff you can wash regularly

we all know DWR will wear off with shells … now it likely wont wear out as fast with down … but the big differences is that you CANT reapply this nano coating yourself, unlike DWR with shells

will you be able to wash future nano-down pieces regularly? … if so how "fast" will they degrade? ….

since you CANT reapply it right now … what happens as it wears out, how long does it take, does it become a normal 800 fill jacket then, etc …

like i said FORGET ABOUT THIS JACKET … the more important question is this nano-down degradation ;)

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

How and what fails it not washed, precisely when it needs washing (still two times a year even if just sitting about?) etc really are quite important to ask.

If it does require specalist washing twice a year regardless than no chance that the tech will ever scale to any degree. It would also represent a pretty offensive use of resources compared to normal down!

Of course its only the water resistance which could be worth it here. The claimed loft really isn't anything especially special (900fp European down already out there) and won't be saving more than ~25g overall vs merely good down anyway.

At least, unlike quite a few treated down things, its box walled and has a proofed outer. Sane :)

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I don't think that Patagonia is recommending washing twice a year as standard. They seem to be saying twice a year as maximum.
    "We strongly recommend infrequent cleaning of any down product (and certainly not more than
    twice a year) to ensure that your garment has a long, effective life."

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

Seems I was maybe slightly confused cf the washing :)

Having checked it almost appears as if they're worried about detergents etc masking the down treatment. Which is a little odd as surely people buying something like this would know not to do that? My impression was that most people got at least sleeping bags cleaned for them anyway.

Comforting that they reckon they use less energy than home drying even with shipping. (due to tumble dryer use.). We'll see.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I must say it's a beautiful looking jacket, but I won't be saving for one. I would rarely use something THAT warm, and having to ship it to and from NZ for cleaning would be a deal-breaker even if I could use something that warm. However, if I lived or hiked in much colder climes, and lived in an area where shipping wasn't too bad, I would be tempted…

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

"Isn't complaining that you have to ship it away to be washed just like complaining that you have to careful with a neoair so you don't puncture it?"

No. We're not discussing the durability of the product. We're discussing cleaning, which is a basic maintenance issue. And it's not complaining- it's a valid feedback that some of us see the requirement of factory cleaning to be a deal breaker even if the price point wasn't already too high. I own exactly 1 piece of gear that has to be returned to the factory for maintenance and that is my McMurdo FastFind PLB that has a factory installed battery. It wasn't a dealbreaker for me because the battery requires changing only once every 5 years and I anticipate that at the point the battery actually requires changing the technology behind PLB's will have come so much further that I will opt to buy a new unit rather than replace the battery in what will probably be considered a dinosaur.

It's just feedback. What works for me may not work for you and vice-versa. I see differing points of view as being a good thing, personally.

Brian Abram

@boglins

Locale: The South

So the jacket is sold out. Some of the arguing at this point might be a bit misplaced. Can someone like Goose Feet make basically a 900fp standard down clone at a similar or reduced weight? Maybe without the snow skirt or chest pocket but using the baffling, neck draft collar, and apparent overfill that the Encapsil has?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Brian,

Gooses Feet will be using Downtek dwr down soon.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Part of P-Gucci’s explanation: http://www.thecleanestline.com/2013/03/the-patagonia-encapsil-down-belay-parka-an-origin-story.html
    “Perhaps the biggest design accomplishment of the jacket is its 100% independently baffled construction. That is to say, at no place on the entire parka does a single stitch extend from the exterior shell all the way through to the inside lining. This guarantees that none of those specially treated feathers are going to shift to some place that they shouldn’t and thus compromise the jacket’s uniformity of insulation. The functional improvements continue from there: double draft tubes bookend the main zipper, large front pockets (cut big enough to fit gloved hands) are positioned above the harness line, carefully split baffles around the pockets and zippers maintain uniformity of fill without adding extra bulk, meticulously laid out baffles of varying widths running through traditional compression areas (i.e. under your arms and around your shoulders) ensure equal warmth everywhere, a micro snow skirt with hideaway drawcord seals the waistline, inside stash pockets positioned on the side panels as opposed to industry standard of up front placement, and a hood that fits snug with or without a helmet. The design crew also considered what not to include. There is no fuzzy fleece lining in the pockets or at the top of the front zipper. “That stuff may feel nice at first but it is just a sponge for moisture and ends up hurting you in the long run in real alpine conditions,” says Shaw, who has more than three decades of serious climbing experience to his credit. Then there is the omission of a split end front zipper, something which would traditionally be found on a belay parka so as to allow access to your harness while keeping most of your jacket zipped up. The double-ender was left out because they are more likely to break and because the slim profile of the Encapsil Parka allows it to more easily be tucked inside of a harness and rope set-up. “I'm sure we are going hear about that,” says Shaw. “Some people feel really strongly about those zippers.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

It looks like an absolutely beautifully crafted winter jacket that I would absolutely love to own…

…but likely never will.

My wife is a wonderfully generous and kind woman but I would completely deserve the a$$ kicking I'd get if I went out and bought this right now. And honestly, I think I'd get an ulcer trying wear a jacket this expensive anyway.

To those of you that can afford/justify this sort of thing without getting panic attacks, I have one word:

Enjoy!

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

How does that differ from a normal box wall construction? Essentially no penetrating seams involved there. Marketing I guess :) A good thing to have of course.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I should buy one and rent it it out for $70 a month.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"How does that differ from a normal box wall construction? Essentially no penetrating seams involved there. Marketing I guess :) A good thing to have of course."

Well spotted. I have the PHD designs Yukon jacket, and it is very well constructed, including fully baffled. The DWR on it is the best I have come across too. It is also lighter and cheaper. Sure, it's only 900fp, and the down is not treated in any way, but because the DWR is so good, I have never had a problem with it wetting out. You can also remove the hood, which is how I use it most of the time, and that makes it even lighter. No problem washing it at home if and when I feel the need!

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=159

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I commend Patagonia for making an effort and investing the dollars to produce technical gear. They could just as easily spend their time only on gear to wear to Peet's Coffee.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

The yukon is actually quite a close comparison point to this in some ways – the treated outer fabrics (actually more than DWRs in both cases), basically equal down fill (900 EU is essentially the same as this), box wall and ball park weight etc.

Different emphasis design wise of course – especially hood wise.

The question which actually interests me is what happens if you put down like this behind a waterproof shell as per Crux's plasma. Would it then be functional as an fairly well all conditions belay jacket? That could change things a little.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That's the main problem with this parka – too warm

If you're in the arctic or climbing Denali or some Himalayan peak, fine, but anything that almost any of us would do, it's over-kill

You don't want a too warm parka, because you'll sweat.

In 900 FP, it might weigh 1 ounce more. If you're paying several hundred dollars to save 1 ounce, then you have too much money.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools