Topic

Ultralight Closed-Cell Foam Mat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Closed-Cell Foam Mat?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I have a torso-length thermarest. Since it was expensive, what's the lightest weight foam mat that will protect the 20" x 47" dimensions of my air pad?

It has to be closed-cell, I don't want to carry water around in it.

I would love if it folded into fourths like the pad in the Mountain Hardwear ThruWay 50

Thanks!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Suluk46.com makes a pre-scored foldable EVA foam mat.

Prolite.com and Lawson Equipment both make EVA foam mats in various thicknesses.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

just for protecting your inflatable pad? possibly this, but its sold out.

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products/EvaRest-1-8-Foam-Pad-p950.html

there's also this (which could be trimmed):

http://www.rei.com/product/374053/standard-blue-foam-pad-regular

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Max:

Not answering your question… but instead of picking up yet another gear piece to protect a gear piece… in this case, why not spend an extra two minutes examining / clearing your campsite before plopping down your shelter and sleep pad?

I've been using air pads for years now — including the UL Thermarest NeoAir — and have never had a mishap. Of course, now that I said it…… :)

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Usually it's not an issue, but I'm thinking of that one night where we're on gravel and the weather is clear enough to sleep under the stars…

Ah, but maybe you're right. I figured the foam pad would be between 3 and 5 ounces, and multiple use as an instant nap whenever I wanted one without having to blow up the X-therm. That's almost worth it's weight in gold. I might just defer to the Z-light and leave the air pad for winter.

Edit: I should clarify. My modus operandus is to hammock camp, with the exception of nice summits and beaches where it's cold enough that you don't have bugs. Then I sleep under the stars. It is most excellent and often worth having a lightweight throw-around mat to take with you when you do it.

It's not something I'd carry all the time.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Lawson's 1/8th should weight 2-3 oz

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

I like the Lawson Equipment EvaRest 1/8" pads. Price is great when he puts them on sale, shipping is free over $10, customer service is excellent. The pads themselves work like they're supposed to. I chose these over the GG Thinlights because of the extra size Lawson speced his out to, leaving you extra to cut whatever you need.

Edit: Michael beat me – If you cut one down to size under your x-therm, it should only weigh between 2-3oz by my calc.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have a a Gossamer Gear 1/8 x 60 pad, weighs ~ 2.5 oz

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=177

Mine's ~ 3oz on the scale and I haven't started trimming it yet.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Double post

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad, or Lawson's pad.
    The word on the street is that Lawson's is slightly warmer for the thickness. Probably hard to tell exactly.

The thing with the CCF pads isn't the weight, but the bulk. But I do carry them in the winter. Not the summer.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Increase density, and tear strength etc increases. Decrease density, and warmth per weight increases. Also, the thinner the pad,
    the lower the tear strength.

In other words there are trade offs.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I use a GG thinlight pad with my inflatable (NeoAir). It adds a little bit more warmth and protection. It doubles as my sit pad. It may be overkill, but I feel more confident that way. Plus, it makes it easier when I'm inflating things in bug country. After assembling the tent, I just throw everything inside. Then I sit on the closed cell pad while I inflate the NeoAir (free from the nasty mosquitoes).

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I notice that the ccf pads tend to tear most frequently at the edges. Running a strip of tape around the edges helps reduce this.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

If you are just looking to protect the pad, I would go with 1/8". I have one of Lawson's Evarest pads and have been very happy with it. Looks like all his pads are out of stock right now. Gossamer Gear has 1/8" and other sizes in stock and on sale.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Awesome! The Gossamer Gear pad looks perfect and only cost 10 bucks! I just ordered one, plus a pair of titanium tent stakes for my hammock's rain fly.

Perfect suggestion, just what I was looking for. Thanks again!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive used just my GG 1/8" under my legs down into the upper 20s without issue with a quilt.

Even with an inflatable, always good to have some form of CCF for a backup in case of failure. Although the prolite self-inflating or such have some foam so will still offer something if fail. Also makes a good sit pad. Just roll up and put under top strap on pack, doesnt take up any room in pack there, and easily accessible for breaks.

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

I have the Lawson's 1/8th in. pad and I see it as a good backup doubled for my Neoair I don't think it would offer much protection against sharps; especially single layer. I do like the Lawson products and service although he dosen't offer many products.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

I think it's smart to bring along a minimalist CCF pad (emphasis on minimalist). I use a 1/8" one I got from Lawson in tandem with a Thermarest NeoAir. I use a 3/16" one in cooler weather.

– At least in my area it is often impossible to 100% ensure a site is free of things that could puncture the air mattress. My understanding is that the desert dwellers find it very hard to eliminate all the spines/stickers/etc.

– The CCF pad is great for use during the day as a sit pad. In other-than-bluebird weather I always have a warm, dry, padded (lightly) place to sit and stretch out. I'd never do that with the NeoAir. I carry my CCF rolled on the outside of my pack.

– The CCF pad adds a bit of insulation/padding at night and a last-ditch backup for NeoAir failure. In a rougher situation where the weather was really threatening and the NeoAir popped, laying that 1/8" pad on top of a bushcraft bed adds a warm waterproof layer.

– A CCF pad offers many improvised options for medical care, which is great since so many of you BPL hardcores prefer 2-ounce medical kits! :)

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

You guys know any stores shipping these 1/8″ pads internationally for cheap money?

I only find these pads form Gossamer Gear, but they want $45 to ship to me, which is quite ridiculous.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Try trekking-lite-store in Germany for their 3mm mats, or google for Exped Doublemat Evazote (4mm) mat.

Alternatively, their are 3mm foam laminate floor underlays available.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools