Topic

New 2013 Tarptent Models

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New 2013 Tarptent Models

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Stuart,

Don't you know if its for use with the wife it counts as household gear, and so comes out of the household budget ;-)

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

That doesn't fly in my household. Nice arrangement :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Sure it keeps me out of trouble :-)

Benjamin Auer

@mankind117

I got the new moment this last Friday and took it out this weekend on the AT in Maryland. I will post pictures later but so far I am impressed. I'm really tall and I actually fit ok. Height wise it could be taller but that is most tents. I'm 6'6" and with no pad inside I can just sit up straight. Length size it is plenty long enough since the fly is well away from the ends of the inner. This weekend I had no trouble fitting in a large neo-air xtherm and still had room for most of my things inside with the pack (x-large ula catalyst) in the vestibule. The the freestanding feature works ok with the extra pole. I was able to set it up in my living room with the optional pole. I would say the freestanding feature works better than the scarp with I have used as well. I think with the solid inner that will hopefully be released later this would make an excellent winter tent. It was interesting as somebody else I was with this weekend had a notch. The new moment is basically a notch with the arch pole instead of the trekking poles. Overall the notch had a little more headroom and bigger vestibules but the moment double wall has more floor space inside with the ability to be freestanding if you had to pitch it on some place where staking is hard. This will probably be my new go to tent. I'm looking forward to using it in winter the a solid inner and the crossing pole. It will mean a lot less fiddling of pounding a lot of stakes into frozen ground.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Henry,

OK, OK so my smoke idea sounds wacky. But, hey, how else are you going to find out which mesh/ripstop configuration works best?

Bless you my Son. May all your venting be successful.

Yours, "Waiting for the White Smoke" Eric

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

"Anybody (Alex Wallace?) have a chance to take the Moment DW out yet?"

Charles,

Luckily, I was able to sneak in a 48 hour trip to the foothills in northern California using the new Moment DW. I'll post a more thorough review with pictures soon, but in the meantime know that the DW (aka version 2) is better, more refined, in every way compared to version 1. This is MY perfect shelter. Temps dipped below freezing and I had light snow flurries in the early AM and this shelter sat rock solid with no condensation to deal with. Oh yeah, it's also still nice to only worry about two, four tops, anchor points.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Awesome, thank you for that. Mine's on order, hopefully I'll get it this week or next. I can't wait to take it out.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Moment — looks like the condensation will be less, but getting close to my double rainbow in weight.

Franco — how do you get these tents so fast?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Franco sells them for Tarptent.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

It might be splitting hairs, but I think Franco has said that while he represents TarpTent in Australia, all orders are placed with and fulfilled by Henry and the US organization.

Speaking of which, either Franco or Henry, do you have an update on the CloudBurst 3 launch date? The website's still reading "Shipping late March 2013". Quite a few folks here are watching with bated breath.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

How do I get them so fast ?
    Henry was playing with the CB 3 about two years ago and I still have not seen one.
    Do you call that fast ?

BTW, yes Stuart is correct. I don't sell them I seal them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It's past late March. Any update on the CB3?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Henry updated the website this morning. Looks like the basic configuration of the CB3 will run $319, shipping 'mid April', although no way to place an order yet.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

$319 appears to be a good price.

Henry, Franco, or anyone… I have an old extra Double Rainbow pole. Can I use this for the center pole on the CB3? If so, would I have to add or subtract a pole section?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Don't know about the double rainbow pole, but the CB3 sells with two poles, adding the third pole is extra ($13 if I remember correctly).

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> I have an old extra Double Rainbow pole. Can I use this for the center pole on the CB3? If so, would I have to add or subtract a pole section?

The Rainbow poles are 144" and the Cloudburst poles are 120". It is certainly possible to remove sections but you will also want to a) trim an existing section–regular tube cutters are a few dollars from the hardware store– and b) shorten/trim the shock cord before reinserting the tip.

-H

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Awesome. Thanks Henry.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I think the Cloudburst 3 looks fantastic. Not much heavier than the double rainbow, but much more space and stability!

I wonder if poles (like Roger Caffin uses) would fit into the sleeves of the Cloudburst 3? Straight poles with 3 corners, so the pole bending radius is not so severe, and so that there is a defined 'point' at the tent's apex (rather than a flat spot as is inherent in every hooped tent design).

Roger Caffin Tent
    Roger Caffin's legendary tent design. Photo credit, Roger Caffin, from bushwalking.org.au .

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I'm happy to report that the TarpTent Moment DW is treating me very well. I've been able to use it on four trips now and I'm really impressed. Last weekend I used it on the west slope of the Sierra (Desolation Wilderness)and really appreciated the easy setup and wind shedding capabilities.

TarpTent Moment DW at Lyons Lake

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Danny,
    I highly doubt that poles with any bend will work in the CB3. The design appears to rely on a consistent curve. But who knows!?

Tanner M

@tan68

I closed up the ends and sides of a Double Rainbow.

I sewed light nylon over the mesh up about 18" or so on the sides. I wanted a warmer tent. On a quite windy night I could feel no drafts on me. So, it works…

I wasn't really able to close up the corners very well. There are little gaps. I added the nylon to reduce drafts. I couldn't feel any, but I wonder if the little gaps created a slight chimney effect.

Since doing this to your tent, I have had the tent out one night at 22* in the tent, quite humid weather, and no condensation. This night was not terribly windy. The windy night was rainy.

Has anyone thought about a small, small vent low to work with vents high..?

I didn't have the heart to cut the mesh out from behind the panels I sewed in place. The mesh still bears the weight; I made sure my nylon is looser. If anyone else cares to try, I sewed all my panels onto the outside. Doing it again, the side panels on the outside are okay but I would definitely sew the end panels on the inside. Just easier to make the corner.

I also think the 18" pole sections will be easier for packing..

" Yes, though it may have to wait until later summer. Our production team is pretty slammed. I'm thinking it will be more Scarp/StratoSpire style–all solid with mesh vents at top of doors–than the open mesh roof style on the Notch interior but I'm opening to lobbying and good beer ;-) "

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Any ETA on the partial solid inner for the Moment DW?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I talked to Henry early this month and he said August. They were working on the final details for production when we talked.

Can't wait! Finally a 4 season Moment. (Of course I'll have to mod it to make it "winterized" to my preferences. :o)

Brock Graves
    BPL Member

@gravesbrock

Locale: asheville nc

Just put my order in with the solid inner today. Will add pictures as soon as it comes in!

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools