Topic

Big Agnes “Q Core SL” REALLY DISSAPOINTED!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes “Q Core SL” REALLY DISSAPOINTED!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Locale: south

Mark,

I must agree with most of what you say. I am a fan of BA and really love their products. I too am in sales and to boot and I am my own boss. My word is all I have. There is no real answer and I can only say that I would hate to work for BA in their customer service dept. and have to field these calls. Those of us that obsess over our gear really only represent a minority (I admit I am guessing on this one) and as long as the massess are happy then all is good. I believe this forum is here for us to use so we can educate ourselves and others while we obsess, judge, breakdown, critique and condense over the very few pieces that we bring with us into the backcountry. After all, we hike our own hike dont we!

By the way, you say your from way down in Dixie? Wherebouts? Bama/Georgia?

Mark Barnett

@beyondsundaymorning

Locale: Way Down South In Dixie

James, I am from Bama, northern Bama actually. Where is "South" for you?

I was wondering if you have tried out your NeoAir XLite yet? I bought that one just before I made the final decision to keep the original Q-Core. I was pretty comfy but I laid on it in the floor at home and it was really crinkly sounding. I didn't know if that noise would be a problem with me sleeping outdoors or not so I ended up sending it back and going with the Q-Core. Hope it is working well for you though. Since I have been waiting to get the SL I have also been looking at the Exped Synmat UL 7. I saw it in the package at an REI while traveling (they didn't have any on display) and it packs really small. Do you have any experience with Exped? I saw the pic Ryan posted in this thread. Maybe he could comment on the comfort level of the Exped UL 7 compared to the Q-Core.

I need to take more time to read in these forums and ask others for advice. I am an Asst. Scoutmaster and have been backpacking with my boys for about two years now. My first backpacking trip I took 53lbs into Bankhead National Forest and almost killed myself. I was completely new to backpacking and had no idea what I was doing. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone around who knew enough to tell me anything much different either. Since then I have been reading, experimenting, buying lighter equipment and just leaving things at home and it has made a real difference in how much I enjoy going into the woods. I try to educate anyone who will listen by explaining my mistakes so they don't make the same ones, but you know how it is, sometimes you just have to do it wrong to learn. I read somewhere once that each time you go into the woods you should leave something different at home that you normally carry and try something different. I try to do that every time I go. Some of the scouts and other leaders chuckled at me when I pitched my tarp with trekking poles instead of a tent on our last backpacking trip but I wanted the experience and truth be told, I think it's good for them to be exposed to something different too so they see there are alternatives to everyone carrying the same heavy load. Thanks for listening.

James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Locale: south

Mark,

Set up your PM and we can email so we do not hijack the thread! I am from Birmingham and am an Eagle Scout and an ASM as well. We just came thru your neck of the woods as our troop did Shiloh this past weekend. 14 mile day hike in the rain with 20 boys. Awesome weekend even in the rain!! Ha Ha. or you can contact me at James @ R E L I A B L E R E M dot C O M

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Does anyone know if the width issue has been fixed yet with the Q-Core SL?

Steven Johnson

@dannynoonan

^ I was wondering about this as well. Anyone purchase one recently?

Aaron Ledbetter
    BPL Member

@l3db3tt3r

Locale: PNW

I picked up 2 of the Q-Core SL pads at an REI garage sell, the typical used once return…

I blew them up when I got home to check for leaks, etc. They are two different sizes! Both are marked as 20x72x3.5. One is larger in width and thickness. I'll attempt to get some pictures. I'm betting one is an earlier production model (as mentioned in an earlier post).

I'll work on getting pics, measurements, and weights…

Steve G
    Spectator

@siegecow

I recently bought one of the regular size from REI last week.

It's a great pad, very warm and thick, mine measures several inches over 20 in width uninflated.
    Qcore SL
    But it's a bit heavy, ~19oz (on a crappy kitchen scale) including the mesh stuffsack and patch kit. It's also a chore to blow up compared to my short xlite. I think i'll end up returning it for an Xtherm which should hopefully save me 3-4 oz

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Steve G,
    Uninflated specs can be deceiving. How wide is it when fully inflated? Just curious if BA has fixed the narrowness issues yet.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools