Topic

What’s the quietest hooded windshirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What’s the quietest hooded windshirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

I am very far away from shops and no website ever posts sound files for their jackets. What light windshirt is the least crinkly and rattly? I'm flexible on other features (except the hood), but I would like to bend my arms without scaring the animals. Thanks!

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

I just got a Houdini and was surprised to find the fabric was very soft and cloth-like. I thought it'd be more plastically. But nope, its soft and quiet.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Most windshirts are very thin material which by it's nature is softer/quieter. It's the very stiff GoreTex style shells that typically suffer from that crinkly/stiff issues you are referring to.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I don't know about the quietest, but the Stoic Wraith is pretty quiet.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have both a Stoic Wraith and the Houdidni and they both are quiet.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Pertex Quantum is a lot softer than the Houdini fabric, it will feel quieter in use, though not necessarily be quieter against brush.

The Rab Alpine jacket is worth a look. Very quiet, soft fabric and a full feature set. The hood is better than 95% of the hardshell hoods available (lookin at you Arc'teryx). Outstanding (athletic) fit. A hair less windproof than Quantum et al, but more breathable.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I hear you Dave,

I have older the Rab Alpine Pullover and the hood does rock, I find I put on a hardshell a bit quicker if it starts raining than with more convential Windproofs.

James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Locale: south

I have a Montane lite speed. Could be a bit lighter but the design has been around a bit. The jacket is soft, pliable and not crinkly at all. Weighs in at 6 oz. I really like the collar where the hood tucks (very comfortable around your neck). I also like the longer tail lenght so it gives good coverable. The hood cinches down around your face and gives good peripheral vision. Not to mention its only eighty eight dollars at campsaver right now. I wore this jacket over an Ibex indie hoodie this past weekend and was warm down to mid 40's before I had to break out my puffy

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

That is something that has never, ever crossed my mind.

I find groups greater than one person generate exponentially more noise than any piece of gear I have ever owned.

;)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My memory (be highly skeptical since people tend not to have accurate memories of the nuances of auditory sensations):

rab alpine (equilibrium), arcteryx squarmish, pertex quantum, houdini, other uncoated windshirts, Patagonia Essenshell (EPIC), coated windshirts and WP/B jackets.

–Mark

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Nope, not kidding, Nick G! :)

I go solo 95% of the time, and wildlife/bird observations are very high priority. I can read reviews of fit and durability all day, but without handling the material it's hard to guess what would happen if I wore it while, say, trying to approach a snowy egret.

So I'm very grateful for the feedback! Online shopping's my only option, and shipping charges get pretty steep way out here. Thanks to all for your input.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Might want to look into clothing marketed to hunters

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

"Might want to look into clothing marketed to hunters."

Good point, Nathan! The few 'outfitters' near me (still a day's travel) are fishing/hunting/outdoor work suppliers. Apparently those fellows do not care what something weighs, however (7 pound coat, anybody?). I do get some decent stuff from them all the same. Like socks.

I'm probably boring you now, but I'm told that a lot of 'camo' gear is a bit of a joke, because animal/bird eyesight is nothing like ours. Particularly, they see UV reflection. We might think we're totally stealth, but we actually look like big bipedal glowsticks to the animals. (If I saw a glowing blue creature in the woods, I'd take off too.) So (I'm told) unless you're buying special materials or special treatments, you're better off in black clothing than in most camo, because more UV is absorbed. That said, whatever I have that isn't black is green, grey or brown.

I'm pretty sure patience, quiet, slow movement and body language matter more, though (i.e., if you make eye contact, close your eyes right away and then blink often and slowly. Tells the animal you're indifferent to it, and not nervous or aggressive.) But if you can get out where most hikers and hunters don't go, you might well be the first human the animal has ever seen. It's amazing how some of them will get curious and approach when they've never seen the likes of you before. All you have to do then is not startle them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools