Topic

Bay Area Backcountry Camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bay Area Backcountry Camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. Is there a good resource that comprehensively lists backcountry backpacking sites around the Bay Area?

I'm familiar with Bay Area Hiker but there is a dearth of recommendations outside of the standard (mostly car camping or walk in) camp sites. Henry Coe is wonderful but I assume there but be others in the area. Seems like some of the hot spots like Pt. Reyes prohibit backcountry camping. I'd love to find places within 2 – 3 hours of San Francisco.

Thank you.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

How about the coast side entrance to Big Basin, at Rancho del Oso. Beautiful drive down highway 1, spectacular beach right by the trail head, lots of hiking and camping either in the redwoods or on chaparral hills with sweet views.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

This isn't "Bay Area", but check out the Ventana Wilderness south of Monterey. There is also Cache Creek Natural Area near Clear Lake.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks for the tips. Just realized that I should have posted this thread in the other forum…

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

If by "backcountry" you mean "camp wherever you dang well please", then Henry Coe is the only place I know of.
    But, Point Reyes and Big Basin are nice places to backpack if you can deal with designated camp sites.
    Those are really the only Bay Area places I know of, and I would quite call Point Reyes "Bay Area".

I always forget, but there is some backpacking to be done in the east bay as well:
    http://www.ebparks.org/activities/camping/backpacking#sunol

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Most San Francisco Bay area parks that allow backpacking also require you to stay in designated camp sites.

One book I've used (but out of print now):

Camping and Backpacking the San Francisco Bay Area, Matt Heid
    http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Backpacking-San-Francisco-Area/dp/0899972950/

In my experience, this book describes the parks, campsites, and trails within parks, pretty well, but some of the connections between parks are missing.

Looks like an updated backpacking-only version is available, but I haven't seen it:

One Night Wilderness: San Francisco Bay Area, Matt Heid
    http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Wilderness-Convenient-Backpacking/dp/0899976239/

Depending on where you live in the Bay Area, 2-3 hours of driving can get you to Big Sur to the south, or to Mendocino National Forest to the north.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Murietta Falls in the Ohlone Wilderness.

–B.G.–

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Well, heck, if you're willing to drive 3 hours, might as well head to Tahoe…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools