Topic

Layering for 30-70 degrees

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Layering for 30-70 degrees

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    neil miller

@neilthemeal

I'm doing about a 5 day trip this summer in Alberta in June. The expected temps are around 40-60 degrees. And what it's like around here most of the spring and fall is the same, most of the time being 1-3 days trips.

I currently have…

Columbia fleece
    North Face shell
    100 weight pullover fleece, fairly light
    Slim fit pullover softshell(originally got it for running). my go-to outdoors shirt

Obviously the TNF shell provides any element protection I need it to but it's bulky, probably 2 lbs and not that packable and it gets stuffy.

SO my question, what are my best options for a breathable, versatile and light setup? (without being too picky my fourth concern is convenience)

I'm debating between a windshirt(GoLite Ether) with a rain jacket (GoLite Virga or Precip). Probably around 13-15 ozs. I'd be carrying a lot of tiny jackets it seems like.

or

GoLites Xirtam jacket. 13 oz. compared to my North Face, is this a significant reduction in bulk, and an improvement in breathability?

I figure the 100 weight fleece and sporthill top can fill any gaps left by either setup but which in the end would be your pick. Or do you have different suggestions..?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There is a huge range of options. I would def. swap nout the TNF shell. Not only will you save weight and bulk, but most likely get something more breathable. If you are mostly hiking on trails I would recommend the DriDucks Rainsuit. At $20 (pants and jacket), something like 6oz for the jacket, and better breathability than most WP/B jackets it's hard to beat. If your TNF jackets in good shape, the profits from ebay would put money in your pocket after you buy a couple DriDucks.

Over the last few years I would often use a separate windshirt and generally would recommend it… provided it's a windshirt which maximizes breathability like the Patagonia Houdini, and windshirts made from Pertex Quantuum.

As to insulation… that all depends on how warm you run and how much time you will spend when you inactive, but not in your sleeping bag. If you have the money, I always recommend some high loft insulation layer because they are significantly lighter and more compact (by at least a factor of 2x) than an comparable fleece.

More details on my clothing recommendations.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Neil,
    I was looking at the Xirtam aswell, but I ended up going with the Patagonia Ready Mix (L @ 14.1 oz). I can't say enough good things about it. I've used it from 10F to 30F with a capilene base and a thin poly – never overheat (while active).
    It breaths better then anything I have worn before.

neil miller

@neilthemeal

Hey guys, thanks for the input, I've decided upon the following…I was hoping to keep things under $200 and I should be able to unless I go for the Houdini.

Shell – GoLite Virga, 9 oz
    Insulation – Gneiss(synthetic), about 16 oz
    Windshirt – Either Houdini or Ether, 4 oz
    baselayer – Capilene long sleeve or Nike Drifit tee,

The windshirt, insulation and shell should add up to be lighter than my current TNF shell.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools