Topic

Adding snow baskets to UL Distance Z-Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adding snow baskets to UL Distance Z-Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for getting some sort of snow baskets on the ultra distance z poles? Was thinking about ziptying some BD snow baskets on by sliding snow baskets to the other zpole baskets, and placing a small zip-tie just below

looking to do this for the high sierra section of the PCT and thinking this would hep me with my poles a bit

Steven Burkhead

@catinthehat

Locale: Orange/LA Counties

Hi Martin,

I wouldn't do it. Z-Poles are fragile enough as they are. Speaking from personal experience and of all my backpacking friends who were all on the Z-Pole wagon, I have not met someone who owned a pair that didn't prematurely break them. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but from my own experience of watching how these poles fail in various situations, I would not trust them on a long distance trek, let alone with snow baskets.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

You can remove the BD tips and put on Leki tips that will accept baskets. I destroyed the BD tips taking them off, but the Leki tips work fine. Scott

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Scott do you happen to have any photos of this?

Thanks again

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Immerse the stock tips in boiling water for a minute or two. The glue will soften and you'll be able to remove them by hand. Epoxy on Leki or BD tips which allow for removable baskets.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"I wouldn't do it. Z-Poles are fragile enough as they are. Speaking from personal experience and of all my backpacking friends who were all on the Z-Pole wagon, I have not met someone who owned a pair that didn't prematurely break them. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but from my own experience of watching how these poles fail in various situations, I would not trust them on a long distance trek, let alone with snow baskets."

Are you talking about the carbon fiber version? I have the aluminum version and find them more than adequately strong. I'm about 205lb and use them very aggressively. (Mind you, I have other issues with them, but not that.) So if someone knows a way to change the unchangeable tips (maybe so, see above), I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try, at least on the Al version.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

A little silicone adhesive should do the trick and still allow them to be peeled off later. All the pressure is in one direction, so you just need enough to tack them on, assuming you are leaving the stock basket/tip in place with the snow baskets on the bottom side.

I would look a ski pole baskets rather than ones made for trekking poles. I think the hubs will be better suited for your project.

I don't think the snow baskets will put more stress on the poles. Snow should give a softer landing than rocks.

Steven Burkhead

@catinthehat

Locale: Orange/LA Counties

"Are you talking about the carbon fiber version? I have the aluminum version and find them more than adequately strong. I'm about 205lb and use them very aggressively. (Mind you, I have other issues with them, but not that.) So if someone knows a way to change the unchangeable tips (maybe so, see above), I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try, at least on the Al version."

Todd, I did not realize there was an Al version, if that's what Martin is referring to then I agree with you completely!

Dale, the snow baskets indeed add more stress to poles but maybe I should clarify that it's not "more" in the sense you are summing up all the forces. I am referring to the vector loading that snow baskets can potentially add that the pole was not designed for. If Martin is referring to the Al version then I'd imagine that would not affect much, if it was the carbon version I would not suggest it.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Gentlemen

I am referring to the carbon fiber version. I have used this pole previously on snow and have found that the pole is sufficient for use as long as the full weight of the hiker isn't put-on the pole. I am conceded about he pole sinking into the snow. My question is: for some use in the snow would it be better for me to change the entirety of the tip instead and use a leki style flex tip, or retro fit some snow baskets on the existing tips

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Just retrofit the snow baskets. If you are thru-hiking, you could drop box a little glue and the baskets– or a different set of poles for that matter.

BTW, check out baskets for cross country skis. They are wide and light and made for smaller diameter poles. You might find a pair of poles in a thrift store for parts.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Anyone have a good suggestion for a glue to use to attach baskets? I was also considering a zip tie. I'll only be using these baskets in the High Sierra

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Silicone adhesive will fill the gaps when using a less than prefect match, but you coul still twist the baskets free when you are done with them. The force is mostly downwards and the baskets would be pushing up against the original baskets as a stop. The glue just needs to keep things in place for any side bumps or dragging.

Now, this stress thing. Snow baskets will just keep the pole from sinking. The major stress on the pole in hard snow is much like trying to snap the tip off, much like catching between rocks. If the pole sinks less, there is less force that way. The classic cross country baskets provide a lot of flotation while being very flexible and that is the way I would go.

I was thinking of something like this just glued on the bottom of the existing z-pole basket:Cross country basket

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Black Diamond now makes the Ultra Mountain Z-pole with a standard Flex Tech Tip and new 'mountain baskets'.

You can purchase the Flex Tech Tips and the Ultra Mountain Z-Pole Baskets separately. I assume you can retrofit the standard Ultra Distance with them.

I was able to remove a tip from an Ultra Distance Pole without destroying it. Wish I would have used the hot water trick though.

Z-pole tip removed (blue tape shows how far pole extends into tip):
    Z-pole tip removed

Komperdell (REI Carbon Peak UL) vs Z-pole tips:
    Komperdell vs Z-pole tips (removed)

Edit – Heated up the tips in hot water and they easily slid back on.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools