Topic

Tarptent SS1 as a tarp for 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent SS1 as a tarp for 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There are a couple of threads discussing tarps for 2, so not to encroach on those I thought of posting some details of the Tarptent Strato Spire 1 as a tarp here.
    Tarp only (no stakes/stuffsack but with guylines) is about 590 g , that is 20.8 oz.
    The red line you see in these shots is the vestibule area .
    The other side is the same.
    Above the end of each 72" mat you have about 18" , so over 20" from ground to fly at that point. (measured to the 3 seams perpendicularly)
    That is sleeping top and tail.
    TT SS! for 2
    TT SS1 for 2 b

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Thanks Franco. Just FYI to the rest of you, you will soon be able to purchase the SS1 and SS2 fly and interiors separately.

-H

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Awesome to hear that Henry. Do you have an estimated timeframe?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

My buddy and I used the Ss1 as a Tarp one night and where very happy with it.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Franco, do you have any pictures of the SS1 with the inner clipped in with two pads inside? I really like the footprint of the SS1 better than the SS2, but it still looks like a stretch fitting the two pads inside the SS1 inner.

Then again, if Henry is selling the tarp and inner separately, I could MYOG a 40" wide inner for the SS1. (That is, unless Henry would offer a 40" wide inner for the SS1.)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There is a picture of the inner with two mats on the TT site :

SS1 inner two mats
    note that the poles are perpendicular to the ground, you can get more room if you put them at an angle but that reduces stability.
    (actualy they are slightly angled at the top rather than the bottom…)

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Is it possible to setup an SS1 inner in an SS2? Might be a good way to justify buying an SS2 fly for myself

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

And the opposite question: can you set up the SS2 inner under the SS1 fly? That SS1 inner looks really cramped for 2 people, especially with 3-season sleeping bags.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

I second that question – will the SS2 inner fit the SS1 Fly?

If not could you get a custom made inner that was wider for the SS1?

Edit: Looking at the pole placement I don't think that will work well.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

From my understanding, no, the SS2 inner wont fit in an SS1 fly. If it did, I would have kept my SS1. In my opinion the SS1 is an extremely well designed shelter, however the inner needs to be just a few inches wider to be perfect for 2.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

The SS2 inner will definitely not fit the SS1 fly. The SS1 inner will, however, fit the SS2 fly with some extra cording to allow the SS1 inner corners and apex points to reach the corresponding attachments on the SS2 fly.

-H

Tarptent SS2 Fly with SS1 Interior

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools