Topic

Reshaping Titanium Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Reshaping Titanium Stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lowe Johnston
    BPL Member

@lowejo

Locale: Missouri and Texas

I need to reshape the curved shape ("Shepard's staff") of Ti stakes (1/16" and 1/8" dia) to a right angle to use in a wood stove project. Will slow steady pressure work or do I need to heat it also? Anyone have any experience doing this?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I need to reshape the curved shape ("Shepard's staff") of Ti stakes (1/16" and 1/8" dia) to a right angle to use in a wood stove project. Will slow steady pressure work or do I need to heat it also?

Depends a bit on the titanium alloy used. However, don't try for a sharp right angle if cold working the wire: it WILL snap. Speed – doesn't matter.
    If you get the wire to a bright red you can do almost anything you want to it safely. Unlike steel alloys, red heat won't alter the strength of the titanium wire. Ordinary LPG or portagas torch is fine.

Lowe Johnston
    BPL Member

@lowejo

Locale: Missouri and Texas

Thanks. After snapping one stake, I knew I needed some advice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools