Topic

Comfortable sleeping pads?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Comfortable sleeping pads?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

I'd love to hear thoughts or suggestions on comfortable sleeping pads. To start off with, it doesn't have to meet ultralight requirements, this is more for family/ car camping. When I go backpacking I chose light weight over comfort.

I've tried both closed-cell foam and inflatable mats from Therm-a-rest (not the huge ones, just the standard slim pads), as well as a synmat 7. I can't get comfrotable on any of them, even doubled up.

The Synmat may be uncomfortable beacuse of the baffles. I'm primarily a side sleeper and I find myself tyring to balance in between the "tubes". I also don't like how narrow it is, my arms slide off the edges, even in a mummy bag.

My two therm-a-rests are either too narrow, or not padded enough. I know nothing will feel like a matress at home, but there's got to be something better out there than what I've been using. I'd be curious to find out what has worked for other people.

Thanks in advance. Oh, I should add, although weight isn't a concern, packed size sort of is. I will be using this on motorcycle camping trips as well as car, so I can't be hauling around one of the queen-sized inflatable matresses. ;-)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I've been comfortable on the Neoair. The horizontal baffles are nice. You might also want to check out the Big Agnes Q-Core pads. I think those are 3.5 inches thick.

Mal Hooper
    BPL Member

@malligator

Locale: Valley of the Sun

The REI camp beds are super plush. The biggest is 3.5" thick, but when deflated goes down the size of standard 0.625" CCF pads…25"x6" or so. Not light (~6 lbs) and not super small, but really really plush for its packed size.

http://www.rei.com/product/778152/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-pad

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

The large 25" x 77" Neoair All Season might work for you. Fine tune the comfort by releasing enough air so that your hip is only about an inch off the ground.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

First stop trying to squeeze yourself onto a 20" pad. Check out the 25" pads (or even Palatial 30" pads!).

If you don't like vertical baffles check out something with horizontal baffles like the Neo Aire or something with internal baffles like the Q-core. If those don't work for you then check out the REI Camp bed.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I find the v shaped chambers of the static V are extremely comfortable to sleep on. There 25" wide, fairly light, and vet affordable. Only thing is, no insulation from cold. As a warm bodied person, I've been fine with it down to the upper 30s with a sheet of reflectix under the torso.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Check out the Thermarest "Base Camp" self-inflatables. I like the 25" wide 'large' size and I think they have an even wider model.

We also have one of the REI "Camp Beds" which is equally comfortable, with actually a nicer peached fabric, but is MUCH bigger than the Thermarest ones when rolled up.

Btw, if you find that a pad is "uncomfortable", try deflating it a bit, especially if you're side sleeper.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

I find these big agnes insulated air core pads extremely warm and comfortable, and while not cheap, not outrageously priced (~$80-$95ish). My 20×72" rectangluar BA pad weighs in around 600 grams in the stuff sack, definitely not UL, but it packs down to not much larger than a regular sized neoair when deflated, so fairly low volume for packing.

I like them because they are very comfortable for car camping, and definitely can be used on hiking trips in a pinch if one doesn't get squeamish about the weight.

They're a large volume of air to fill, I made a nozzle for my packraft inflate bag that fits over the BA inflation port and use that to fill the sleeping bag, even when car camping without a packraft.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

I appreciate the recommendations, folks! I'll check out the NeoAir and REI pads.

And yeah, the 20" just doesn't hack it for comfortable sleeping. They are fine for backpacking but when I really want to get a good night's sleep they are just way too narrow. I'm going to be looking at 25" plus.

This time I'm going to stay away from vertical baffles, thanks for the suggestion. I'll also try inflating it less.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools