Topic

Freeze-dried ice cream

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Freeze-dried ice cream

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Picked up a couple packages of freeze-dried ice cream at Fry's Electronics today, http://www.astronautfoods.com/products/ice-cream/astronaut-chocolate-chocolate-chip-ice-cream.html

I was amazed at the calorie density; 6.8cal/g is just about the highest I've ever seen, higher than Pringles (but not as high as olive oil). They were only $2 each. Haven't tried them yet (which might make the post a mute point…)

Steve

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Steve, keep us posted. Every one of these I have tried is, after adding water, a gooey mess that tastes something like milk and pure sugar, two flavors I detest, and nothing like ice cream.

Richard

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

It's been a long long time, but if I recall, adding water is not part of the game.

I believe it's a confection to be eaten like a meringue – dissolved in the mouth.

But at $69 per pound, before shipping, I'll pass.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yes, you are supposed to eat them dry. They melt in the mouth, leaving a pleasant ice cream flavor.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

It is, in my experience, the worst ice cream I've ever had.

It is however, the tastiest styrofoam I've ever eaten.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Why?

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Because.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Years ago we used to bring this with us fairly often. Maybe it's gotten better. If not, David said it best:

"It is, in my experience, the worst ice cream I've ever had. It is however, the tastiest styrofoam I've ever eaten."

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools