Topic

eureka solitare on the cheap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals eureka solitare on the cheap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=SOLITAIRE+2012+A&pf_id=PAAAIAGJNEPBPKGN&dept_id=3070

found these on the eureka outlet store i have never ordered from them but if in need of a cheap /descent solo tent this might be worth a shot

kevin

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Not the lightest thing in the world but pretty impressive from a cost per ounce perspective!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Good tent for someone starting out. Eureka makes what I call "bread and butter" gear. Solid, not flash, gets the job done at a good price.

Needless to $35 is awesome. Is it the "best" tent? Probably not.

But combine this tent it with a $100 Kelty Cosmic Down and a GoLite Jam on sale and a person can have some of the basics without burning up the credit card.

kevin smith

@divr6347

if only there were the possibility of getting aluminum poles for it

that would be really awesome probably works fine as is but just to lighten it up a bit and no broken pole worries still a great deal though

kevin

George Ford
    BPL Member

@eers2u

Locale: West Virginia

Thanks for the link! Been considering one now that my daughter will be joining my son and I on some backpacking trips. Needed shelter for another person and this will work nicely to get her started.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Hmmmmm I have some spare aluminum poles laying around. This might make a good backpacking doghouse!

Remington Roth
    BPL Member

@remjroth

Locale: Atlantic Coast

This seems like the perfect in for someone new to backpacking. What a steal!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

They have A and B class tents. A tents are seconds. B tents are returns.

You can get custom aluminum or carbon poles, but you might step into the "lipstick on a pig" problem pretty quick.

IIRC, the ventilation is weak on the Solitaire. It migh be a candidate for surgery— go at it with the scissors and turn it into a floorless shaped tarp.

BTW, some REI repair desks keep a stash of used poles from damaged returns. I bought a replacement pole for $8 at the Seattle Flagship store. They are easy to adapt for length using a tubing cutter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools