Topic

Merino over or under R1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Merino over or under R1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dan Geiger
    Spectator

@ramcam-2

I usually wear 150 merino when hiking and understand that it wicks fairly well to keep your temperature fairly even when stopping and starting.I also have a 260 merino for cold conditions which i have never worn yet.The 260 weighs quite a bit and can get heavier with sweat so i ordered a Patagonia R1 pullover.Would the R1 wick water from the merino drawing it out while the merino holds warmth under or would the reverse be better?
    I'm hoping the R1 will pull the moisture out of the merino and dry quicker so i can then add a primaloft layer when inactive.Thanks

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Rule number one: "merino keeps you warm even when wet".
    Rule number two: "never get your layers wet in cold weather".
    Rule number three: "you'll sweat when active in a merino base".
    I've never been able to square this, so I wear capilene as a base and synthetics over that in winter, until heavier layers. But I understand that lots of people love merino, it works for them!

Still, I'd wear the lighter merino layer and not sweat in the first place. Otherwise probably the merino over the R1.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

My own take on this dilemma is that merino works best at 150gsm or lighter as the benefits of merino are not outweighed by the degree of moisture retention. This is due to the light fabric only being able to absorb a small amount of sweat and will dry quite quickly. Heavier weights will absorb more moisture and thus dry off much slower. I used to use a 195gsm merino top but no longer use it for the above reason. The 150 weight works well for me. I add a 100 weight fleece on top for cold conditions.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

My usual layer is the R1 over wool Ibex 150 T and a MB Alpine (snap) down vest followed with a wind shirt in 20*F Michigan temps. Depending on the wind/wind chill, and cloudiness I usually ventilate after about 1.5mi in one way or another walking at 3.0 mph.

Dan Geiger
    Spectator

@ramcam-2

Thanks for the replies.The 150 i will be using is a body fit and once the R1 gets here i will see how much trouble it is too fit over it.Hopefully the 150 will control the stink and not transfer as quickly to the R1 as i will be it wearing for many days without changing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools