Topic

Packs @REI recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packs @REI recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

My brother and my father used osprey's in the past. I was never a fan of the shoulder straps. They are too narrow for my liking. Do others not have this problem?

Eric Graves
    BPL Member

@elgraves

Locale: Middle of TN

-Stephen
    If you are interested in the Osprey Atmos 65 I've got one for sale on Gear swap in the medium torso size. PM me if you are interested.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I have a dueter act lite. It carries very comfortably and well balanced. Ie: great harness, frame, and shape (narrow, curved in over shoulders).
    The shoulder straps don't feel narrow (my golite straps do though). The padding is very supportive.
    The adjustable torso is great – custom fit with winter or summer clothes. More stable / less wobbly than using load lifters to adjust the torso length a little.
    The big things I don't like are: it weighs 4 pounds, and it has an air vent channel where the lumbar pad should be. Without the lumbar pad, the hip belt slips downward in the back and I have to readjust its position every 15 minutes to keep the weight off my shoulders when carrying 30 pounds or more. This is a fit issue, and YMMV.
    REI also sells the lighter dueter act zero which is the same pack, but with a removable lid, no bottom access zipper (useless IMO), and a large bellowed fabric shovel pocket rather than the small stretch mesh rear pocket. The stretch mesh pocket is durable enough and holds a heavy duty gortex parka fine though.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

HI Eric,

Thanks for that.

I was looking to buy from Rei as I can try them instore and return it if needs be.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks John,

I have used sone Deuter kit back in Europe and its good quality.

Will check them out tomorrow when in REI.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Dan Geiger
    Spectator

@ramcam-2

This looks like a good contender for heavier loads
    http://www.rei.com/product/844652/rei-xt-85-pack?stop_mobi=yes

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Rog,

I hear you in the bells and whistles, I will stop by Moosejaw if I don't see anything I like in REI.

Thanks Dan,

I was hoping for something a bit lighter.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

>This looks like a good contender for heavier loads
    >http://www.rei.com/product/844652/rei-xt-85-pack?stop_mobi=yes

I've got that pack – just picked it up in January. It's heavy at 5lbs, but lighter than my old 6lb external frame pack. Tons of storage and organization and very comfortable so far with a 15lb load. While not consistent with the lightweight ethos, all the rest of my gear is/will be and so the skin out weight should be a wash. It seems they have also addressed most, if not all, of the complaints people had about the older green version of this model.

I'm a bigger guy and so i like a bigger pack. I have the size L, which is actually 90 liters.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Michael,

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi folks,

Got an REI Fash 62, I got myself measured properly and it turns out I am the hight end of a medium and not a Large as I thought all along.

The flash comes in at just under 3 pounds and has some very nice features.

It will for all my winter kit with room to spare for food and fuel.

Cheers,

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools