Topic

Packs @REI recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packs @REI recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Folks,

As I live in the middle of nowhere the nearest outdoor shop is an REI 2 hours away, I will be in the vicinity next weekend
    And was going to try some packs.

It would be for winter/shoulder season use so something around 60 litres and capable of carrying 45lbs or so.

I undertstand I need to get a pack that fits me properly but I looking for some recommendations of what folks have bought from REI in the past or are famillar with what they sell.

Cheers,

Stephen

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

The Osprey Aether 60 is a nice pack. Not UL, but it carries weight well.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I'll second the recommendation for the Osprey brand. Used them in the past and they're great packs

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Guys,

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Stephen, some of the REIs carry granite gear. You'll likely find them to be the most light weight packs that can carry 40-50 lbs at a rei. Look for the framed granite gears (e.g. Nimbus, snow leopard, etc)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Third for osprey.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I have an REI Flash 65 I like a lot (current model is the 62 I believe)… Worth trying I think!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Guys,

Thanks for the recommendations.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ospreys are great. Guaranteed to enjoy it.

Other brands to look for that are sometimes regionally held in REI stores that I like:

Gregory
    Boreas (I love mine!)
    The REI Flash packs

I haven't had good luck with Deuter, and Kelty bags are very heavy but I still like my Kelty.

Let us know what you choose!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, Gregory, Granite Gear, Osprey. I find then more expensive, but better than REI's own brand backpacks. YMMV, of course.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I will check out the Boreas packs also.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Will do Max.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Those Granite Gear Leopards look interesting if one googles images to how the crampon patch actually works (it's a crampon patch that attaches to those multiple belts … mini-MOLLE attachments it seems … on the back). Looks like the ladies are getting the good colors on this series.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@Stephen:

One more thought… given a 4-hour drive round trip — you will want to be sure that the store carries the packs you're interested in — and in your size. Two weeks before your pilgrimage… call ahead and run through your list. Anything that you are particularly curious about but they don't have on hand — order them online — to be delivered to the store. Yes, they will charge your card — but free shipping — and it's an easy way to ensure that ALL the packs you are interested in will be there for you to try out. And whatever you don't wish to buy — simply return them right at the store. REI will still be able to sell those packs as new — so no harm done to anyone.

EDIT: Just realized you're going next week. But anyway, food for thought when planning for future visits.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Ben,

That's a good idea, I was going to be in the area at concert next Saturday so was going to dop in before hand.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Stephen, since you're headed there anyways, I have a list of things I'd like….

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Fire away Travis I can bring them to the GGG.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

External frame?

I love my deuter act lite(internal frame), and it was the most comfortable with 35 lbs of all the packs listed so far. I literally spent all day trying on every pack REI carries.
    That being said, I'm not sure that I would look forward to carrying 45lbs in it all day.

I recently picked up an old Jansport external frame, and after removing the top cross bar, and the "shelf" bar, both unnecessary. It came in at 3lbs 5oz. Lighter than my Deuter, and feels like it would carry the load better. I'm going to use it on my next trip to find out. At the very least it will get rid of my sweaty back!
    Oh, and it only cost me $20!

You might be able to cut even more weight if you get rid of the pack bag and just strap stuff sacks to the frame. Be carefull that all the stuff sacks and straps don't add up to more than the original pack bag.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Nick,

It would be an internal frame I am looking for.

Cheers

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

REI has some good packs but they can get pricey, especially if you go with a brand like Gregory. Check them out but don't rule out options like the HMG Expedition that are not carried by REI. Higher end REI packs aren't really much cheaper then cottage companies like HMG or even a stripped down McHale pack.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Luke,

I would rather buy a pack in store and also REI will let me bring it back if it doesn't work out a I have had some with a Ula pack on my last trip.

Cheers,

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

"Hi Nick,

It would be an internal frame I am looking for.

Cheers"

In that case check out the Deuter ACT lite. Very comfy pack, but YMMV.

The only thing I don't like is the sweaty back, but all of the vented back packs had bad hotspots at the time. Designs may have changed in the last couple of years though.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I will keep an eye out for that Nick.

When you say hotspots do you mean sore spots?

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Yeah. After a half hour of walking around I started to notice pressure on my lower back, like the arched frame was digging in

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Gotcha,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools