Topic

How safe is your food? Investigating the effectiveness of odor-proof bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How safe is your food? Investigating the effectiveness of odor-proof bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

In December, we completed a randomized, blinded, and controlled study investigating the effectiveness of odor-proof bags using a trained K9 model. Unfortunately, the topic does not appear to be of interest to BPL. Because the police handlers freely gave of their time for this study, I would like to see it formally published rather than just posted. This type of publicity/outreach is important to these underfunded departments. I don't read any other outdoor magazines- Does anyone know of a magazine that would find this type of study interesting/publishable?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Unfortunately, the topic does not appear to be of interest to BPL."

Based on what?

I personally sold 400 NyloFume bags here on BPL for the purpose of odor-proofing and waterproofing. I believe another 200 to 300 were distributed by others here. Now some UL sites offer them as a standard item.

There have been a number of posts reporting the effectiveness of OP bags in "backyard" setting with a high critter and bear population.

Try poking around a bit before dismissing apparent interest.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'd try:

AMC (the magazine of the Appalachian Mountain Club)
    Backpacker magazine
    Outside magazine

If none of these are interested, just do a search for outdoor magazines, there are a bunch: Field and Stream, Bowhunter, Outdoor Life, Trailrunner, etc.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Unfortunately, the topic does not appear to be of interest to BPL."

Did RJ turn you down? Seems like they need content very badly. Or is it that it does not pay?

They sell turkey bags up here by the case. Very important to keep all your weed from stinking up the place. Really. I hate it when one food item flavors everything else in your food bag.

We got bears and coons here. They smell everything.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Another thought – especially since it's your local police dept. – is there a Sunday supplement magazine in your local paper/next big city paper? They'd probably be interested just for the local angle and the department would get lots of local exposure that way.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Greg,
    I'm fairly well in tune with the forums. I was referring to the editors of BPL. I had submitted the proposal almost three months ago but had not received acknowledgement of submission or subsequent inquiry. Didn't know if the topic was too controversial.

Thanks for the suggestions, Doug.

edit- I may not have been so smart in the way I phrased the original question. For clarification, I was wondering (1) if odor-proof bags were a mainstream concept or more of an UL mindset and (2) if there were any outdoor magazines that had an interest in original research related to, but not necessarily about, backpacking. Backpacking? Outside? Is one better than the other? I am not interested in critiquing the editorship here and respect their right to select articles in line with BPL philosophy. I hope people will refrain from taking this thread down that path. Thanks!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"…BPL…but had not received acknowledgement of submission or subsequent inquiry."

Thanks for that attempt. "BPL staff" responsiveness is notoriously lacking. Hopefully someone else can help in that regard. Or perhaps a PM to Roger Caffin would provide a path.

There Is interest and your work would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"I had submitted the proposal about three months ago but had not received acknowledgement of submission or subsequent inquiry. Didn't know if the topic was too controversial."

Editors = Ryan

Ryan is busy. Don't assume it was rejected for any reason.

Ryan should hire Addie back : )

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Thanks guys. This was my first lay publication submission. Guess I'm just used to the formal review process of scientific journals. In any event, I will post an update as the project develops. Next month we'll be completing a larger 14 dog trial of both resealable and Mylar heat sealable bags (with more of a law enforcement focus for that one). Fun stuff getting to watch the dogs at work, and much different than my normal day to day job.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I'd be interested in the study.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"…trial of both resealable and Mylar heat sealable bags…"

Ike,
    Just a suggestion – Please include the generic material names of the bags – nylon, polyester, etc.

Thanks.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I am much much more interested in this article than another typical review of a 2-3lb mass produced backpack. Trained k-9s?? a controlled setting? Awesome!!!

steven franchuk

@surf

Mark me as also interested.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I've never bothered with odor-proof bags in the past, always just stuffing the bear canister and setting it far from camp. They've gotten knocked around, but never breached. Since learning about the LW/UL world, I've been thinking about whether it would be better to attempt odor-proofing. On one hand, maybe my canister wouldn't be molested so much in the Sierras or Cascades, but on the other hand, it might make that tube of chapstick that fell to the bottom of my pack the new smelliest thing in camp. Long-winded way of saying that this sounds like an interesting read and very useful info.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I'd be very interested in the article! Please PM Roger Caffin – you'll get better odds of getting a reply!

Otherwise, I'd be happy to see this posted anywhere I could access it.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

Damnit, I was really excited to read this thread… which I guess essentially doesn't exist.

Maybe I'll perform my own highly unscientific study using my own dog and some Snausages (just typing Snausages he came over and started smelling around my keyboard).

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Ike,

I would love to read an article on this. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic over the last few years with no consensus on effectiveness reached.

Ryan

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Sorry guys. I did not mean this as a tease. The study was performed with the BPL audience in mind, and we had a great time doing it. A form letter acknowledging receipt of the proposal and stating that it was under review would have gone a long way towards alleviating the perception of "rejection" after a significant length of time had passed.

The many positive responses I've received have reinforced the feeling that this study belongs on BPL and I fully appreciate the staffing limitations of the editorship. I'll hang in there and go through whatever other channels may be available. Whatever the final disposition, I won't leave you hanging. The vagueness with regards to results has of course been intentional. I won't "scoop" our own story before it is published.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Count me in as interested in your study. If no love from BPL, Seattle Backpackers on-line magazine would possibly be interested.

http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/

People who write novels for a living often have a drawer full of rejection letters. Be persistent, I'd bet your post went astray or got buried.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Ike,

I also would be very interested in this article if it managed to make its way on to BPL.

Keep up the good work.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

TrailGroove magazine, a cool online backpacking magazine with UL leanings would be a nice spot for the story. Sounds like a great piece!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

From their website's Contact Us:

email us at [email protected]

Mailing Address:

TrailGroove Magazine
    PO Box 1064
    Lander, WY 82520

Aaron & Jen:
    Founders
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

From their website's Contact

Comments, Gear Reviews, Advertising or anything at all………..Give us about 10 minutes to get back to you.

[email protected]

Or just give us a call (425) 954-7116

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools