Topic

How to make my cookset better?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to make my cookset better?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

This is my cookset that I use out, in and around. I base my choices on being lightweight but also on durability and flexibility. I made it so that I could use any kind of heat source I may come across. What else could I do to make it better? Thanks.

1.3L Evernew Ti pot. It lets me cook, fry, or boil up anything I need it to.

Sea to Summit long handled Al spoon. Because I don't need the tines of a fork.

3-4 Vargo titanium stakes. For a wood fire and shelter.

P-38 can opener. For opening cans.

Sea to Summit X-Mug. For microwaves, hot liquids and collapseable.

Light My Fire FireSteel. Works when wet and stepped on.

Food grade plastic 4oz alcohol squeeze bottle.

Cat food can alcohol stove. Need to find something sturdier.

Al pan liner windscreen. Also need to find something sturdier.

Fold up knife. Need to find something sturdier while $20 or less.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

All of that sounds heavy.

My whole setup with spoon, lighter etc weighs 4.15 ounces.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

I would say it sounds heavy, but it Sounds like this is for more than just backpacking. In that case it sounds good.
    What are u doing that the cat stove is not sturdy enough? Or did you mean stable? Have you considered esbit? Never mind, looks like ur doing more than boil water.

For the knife, go to http://www.ragweedforge.com and pick up a mora knife. Plastic or wood handle should run you $10 for a knife that competes with knives 6 times that price. Ragnar has flat $6 shipping no matter the order size, so grab a couple for backups, or to try different styles.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I use the P-38 can opener as my striker for the firesteel.

Check out the Dozier folder on Amazon for a bargain folder. Been happy with mine and it stays sharp.

If you are using this setup daily, year round, it does not seem like a burden weight wise. But does it not limit what you can make?

What don't you like about your stove?

MSR windscreen? Roof flashing for a windscreen?

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

[x]

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Geez people,

Read the first post and understand it before commenting.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

To clarify some I use this kit for just about everything in my daily life whether it be cooking dinner, on vacation, camping, bumming, etc. It is still less than a pound altogether which I am happy with and will last me more than the next ten years which I am even happier with. I can also pick out items I don't need for that trip.

Good suggestion on the P-38! Great item to have when you happen across a convenience store along with the mug because they usually sell canned food and have a microwave but they usually don't have a can opener or a container to cook it in. There is nothing like eating a hot can of beef ravioli or chili mac.

As for the cat food can stoves I stepped on them twice with my size 15EE. They can be bent back but I would rather not if possible. Same with the windscreen but I should just deal with that, duh.

As for the bigger pot, I can fry with the bottom and cook bigger items such as a box of mac and cheese for an ounce or two more.

Thanks for the knife suggestions, I will look at them.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I boil water 99% of the time when I'm backpacking so my needs are different than yours. I like fried fish better than poached so I'll carry something similar to what you have (currently an MSR alpine pot which is too heavy) for my fishing trips.

I've previously used a pan liner but picked up a 12" x 30" roll of 36 gauge aluminum from a craft store. This works well for me and this roll will probably last me forever. Doubling up aluminum foil works just fine.

I'm an Esbit user but I've used a variety of alcohol stoves as well. You can make a stove out of a tuna can but I've had no luck punching holes into them so I gave up. I have a basic penny stove which works fine and I made a folding pot stand out of a clothes hanger. I'd probably use the cat food can stove if I ever returned to alcohol stoves but you don't like yours for some reason (I'm assuming less stable with a larger pot.)

Edit: You and I were writing at the same time regarding the cat stove; I now see your point.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Check out Opinel knives. They fit your price point and have a bunch of different sizes so there's probably one that will fit your needs. Plus the carbon blade should be able to make sparks with your fire steel.

A titanium windscreen might be worth springing for, it won't wear out as fast as a pan liner. It can be used to contain your fire too. I got one from Qiwiz and like it because it will nest inside my Titan Kettle.

The White Box alcohol stove doesn't need a pot stand and is supposed to be tougher than a regular soda can stove too.

I'm personally not a fan of those collapsible cups, it seems like eventually they could wear out at the creases. Plus I'm paranoid about things that are narrower at the base tipping over. Would a Campbells soup-to-go have enough capacity for you?

Adam

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks for all of the assistance, I will try to run some of these suggestions down soon.

Randy Thornton
    Spectator

@ochocoman

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades

Take a look at the Blue Torch stove by Ultralight Designs – http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/cooking/blue-torch.html

It is REALLY strong and durable: you can stand on it and it will take the weight, no worry about crushing it. Also, it is a perfect size for the Evernew 1.3 pot. I use it with my 0.9 one.

I've tried using the X-cup but have given up on it due to its retaining food smells. Instead I switched to a 2 cup ZipLock Twist-n-loc container as cup , with a DIY cozy for the warm stuff. It's more stable, the lid locks, and though not 100% leak proof, it has a pretty good seal.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It's too bad that Blue Torch UL Designs is out of stock on their complete kits. The price is really competitive compared to just buying the pot by itself: BT 1.3 l kit $72.25 vs 1.3 pot only on Amazon for $77.

http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/cooking/BlueTorch-CookKit.html

http://www.amazon.com/Evernew-Titanium-Non-Stick-Pot-1-3-Liter/dp/B000AQYYE2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362147617&sr=8-2&keywords=evernew+pot

Kit without pot is pretty reasonable at $17.50. I'll have to check these guys out if I ever decide to return to alcohol stoves from Esbit.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Keep that long handled spoon – great for eating out of a quart-size Ziplock without getting food on yourself.

Consider FB cooking. All you need is a cozy (insulating bag) and a means to boil water. FB cooking really cuts down on the weight, improves the menu, reduces the mess, and shortens the cook time.

My "cook set" consists of an REI TI long-handled spoon, tea kettle (Primus LiteTech, GSI Halulite, etc.), alcohol stove, and cozy. And I carry a cheap plastic insulated coffee mug for coffee. If you are interested, do a search and/or start another thread and we can talk more about this. I even bought some nice lady's cookbook, which significantly improved my menu.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I agree, the long handled spoon is a good thing.

Consider this though – if you are happy with your gear, keep using it!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools