Topic

Everyday Carry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Everyday Carry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

can be weaponized.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Knives are limited in their uses outside of the woods. Multi tools can be very useful.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"can be weaponized."

You mean, beat the shit into someone?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

On my person, everyday:
    Wallet and keys and phone, though the wallet and phone typically stay in the car when I'm at work. I don't like carrying around a bunch of crap around.

But my car is another story.
    I don't have a bunch of stuff in it out of "preparedness" (paranoia?), but out of laziness.
    At any given time during the week I usually have all my spearfishing/freediving gear, a surfboard, a plastic box with wetsuit/booties/hood, towels, swim shorts/goggles, running shoes, a skateboard, first aid kit, headlamps/flashlights, knife, basic tools (pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc), 3 gallon water jug(aka shower), hats, jackets, dirty socks from the last run/hike, you name it.

During the week especially, my car is my second home. Last week I surfed 4/5 weekday mornings and swam laps at the local pool on the other. On those days I shower at my car (hot 3 gallon jug), change for work, store wetsuits, eat breakfast in the car, etc. So it's a big mess…but I guess I'd be prepared for just about anything because of it.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

"can be weaponized."

You mean, beat the shit into someone?

Think about it Doug. How would you react to a 6' 2" guy screaming nonsense, waving his arms, and wielding bags of poo?

Scare the bejesus out of anyone! I hear that's what they teach cops in self-defense courses in Detroit.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

In the immortal words of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain…

"Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you."

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Scare the bejesus out of anyone!"

LOL! Good point, Travis.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Nah, of course not.

My EDC is usually nothing (Sh!t, forgot my phone!).

I do keep all of that in a hip pack so that if I go biking or hiking or camping, I can grab that for all the little stuff that I don't want to transfer from pack to pack, etc.

Edit: Also, damnit. I mentioned firearms on BPL. This thread is going to 6 pages tonight…

My opinion on firearms is that it's none of my business what other people decide to do, and I haven't got time to consider all the myriads of ways I could die this week. Unstable people with firearms are treated the same way falling pianos are in my book.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Think about it Doug. How would you react to a 6"2" guy screaming nonsense, waving his arms, and wielding bags of poo?"

I should think just wielding bags of poo is enough!

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Jake:

Agreed, this should probably be in Chaff. I don't think many people here backpack everyday…

That being said, I can't resist beating this horse, it's just so dead. How can I not? haha.

For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume you don't know this, but most states require applicants to complete and pass training before obtaining their carry permit. Also, to contrast police officers and armed citizens, most citizens carry because they choose to and are therefore more likely to seek out additional training, and at the least spend more time at the range. On the other hand, carrying a firearm is a job requirement for the police and a lot of them do only the minimum required for training and recertification. Heck, there is even a picture floating around of an officer using her AR-15 without a magazine… So, I don't think that police officer accuracy necessarily directly correlates to civilian accuracy, when you consider the above.
    Also, the "higher qualification" that police obtain, has a lot to do with legal issues, and things related to actively pursuing and subduing a suspect. They receive more training, because there is more involved in what they do. As far as the actual firearm training, there isn't much different from what carry applicants receive. A citizen isn't expected, and shouldn't pursue a criminal. There isn't much you need to teach other than how to operate a firearm, how to shoot it accurately, how to assess the situation, target, and background, and what legal repercussions are involved.

Regarding your fear for innocent bystanders, consider this. Since shall issue permits started to become state law starting in 1986 with florida, and today, all 50 states having some way of obtaining a permit, when was the last time you heard a news story involving innocent bystanders being hit by stray bullets from an armed citizen?
    You may also be interested in the Clackamas mall shooting, where the gunman was stopped by an armed citizen, that didn't even fire a shot. He saw someone running into the line of fire behind the gunman and held his fire. But at seeing armed resistance, the shooter turned his gun on himself. So, training works, even if it isn't as "high of a qualification" as police…
    You might call Mr. Meli "paranoid", but I would call him "alive", and a "hero."

I will also agree with you that you are more likely to get into a car accident, but does likeliness of something happen negate the need to take measures to protect yourself from it? There are many accounts of guns saving peoples lives. Would you call all of them paranoid? I'd rather be paranoid and alive, then confident and dead, or a rape victim.
    And yes, the need to baton a tree in downtown is a highly improbable situation. Heck, it's improbable in the woods even! haha.

OK, i've said my piece, I'll shut up now. Jake, if you want to continue the firearm dialogue, let's do it with PMs. I think we hijacked this thread enough as it is, lol.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Quick correction:

Not all 50 states have a permit system for concealing a firearm. In Wyoming, you don't need a permit, its considered a basic right for gun owners to conceal.

Yet another reason why Wyoming is better than [insert your state's name here]. :)

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I used to carry an opener. But haven't you read the Chaff "Beer in the Can" thread? Bottles never leave the house anymore.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Not sure it deserves a list. Appropriate key, smartphone and wallet, but the later I've been leaving behind more and more as the apps on my smartphone debit my coffee, etc.. Still need an urban pack or casual briefcase if bringing my iPad for coffee though, and that breaks the rules.

Some go with knives, cell phones, tools in holsters on the belt .. guess if one needs them regularly.

Eventually you will end up with this …

Utility belt

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4220-batman-utility-belt/

Though a BPL utility belt in cuben fiber might be an interesting project (one step down from the "fanny" pack).

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>Though a BPL utility belt in cuben fiber might be an interesting project (one step down from the "fanny" pack).

Some packs have swappable hipbelts. You could take your utility hipbelt off when you get to camp and day hike with it!

Batman! Na na na na na na na na na Batman!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

This game has been played on many forums, not to mention edcforum.com.

I carry a "survival keychain" when hiking and a very similar one every day. I have eliminated the firesteel and whistle from my city version, so my EDC load is a Fenix E01AAA LED flashlight, a spy capsule with medication and a Victorinox Classic knife. I also carry a Benchmade Mini Pika pocket knife, my household keyring and a small wallet.

I got around to adopting an iPhone last year, which upset my pocket load, but it is an incredibly handy daily tool. I just finished a 2000 mile road trip and it enriched the experience immeasurably. If the Big Quake comes, it won't be much more than digital compass and flashlight, but as long as the network stays up, it is a 6oz toolbox.

I've been using a small Timbuk2 bag when I want to take a camera, book, water bottle and other accessories. I think a shoulder bag makes it easier to navigate in crowded mass transit and streets than using a small backpack. Find a simple soft bag that will wrap around you rather than a still padded bag that will bounce and otherwise get in the way. Manhattan Portage has a great line of bags that fit UL principles.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"If the Big Quake comes, it won't be much more than digital compass and flashlight, but as long as the network stays up, it is a 6oz toolbox."

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Gaia GPS ap for the iPhone or not. If so then please disregard. I recently downloaded it and so far I've been pretty impressed. I went snowshoeing this weekend and was hoping to put it through its paces but unfortunately I wasn't completely outside of cell phone coverage.

With just one bar and some tree coverage, it plotted my location and elevation almost instantaneously. Supposedly it will work with no cell phone tower coverage at all. I'm not really into GPSs so this is a good fit for me investment-wise. I'm going to use it on the Wonderland Trail this summer for a week w/o recharging to see how much I life I can milk out of this phone in airplane mode.

My iPhone is:

GPS/altimeter
    Backup compass/inclinometer
    E-reader
    Journal (use voice memos)
    I email maps to myself and save them as photos (backup)
    Alarm Clock for when I want to hit the trail by sunrise/never found a watch that will wake me up
    Camera
    It's waterproof in its lifeproof case

I don't rely on it but it's a nice tool and backup for other gear.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

>"Though a BPL utility belt in cuben fiber might be an interesting project (one step down from the "fanny" pack)."

Thank you for calling it a step down :D

Zimmerhip

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I always have to laugh when I see Fanny pack mentioned as back home it means something else.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I hope you mean Great Britain, because then, I know exactly what you mean.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

All sorts of linguistic differences to trip us up and/or give a wry smile. I'll never forget the first time I heard an American guy talk about his suspenders … made of eelskin. Fresh off the boat, my reaction was "That must chafe, Mr. Cross Dresser."

On the flip side, I very quickly learned not to ask to borrow someone's rubber…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I mean Ireland but it has same meaning in the UK.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Well one thing we can all agree on is that owning, wearing, using, condoning a fanny pack under any name or circumstance communicates to the world that the wearer is not interested in meeting a woman at any time in the near future.

FWIW I have some Darth Vader T-shirts and parachute pants if you want to round out your wardrobe.

EDIT I kid because I care.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

almost always a light, knife, wallet and phone

Photobucket

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Ian,

I embrace your comment as fact. Excuse me while I put on my neon sunglasses, as shown in my EDC list, and proceed to keep on doin' things the way I've done them for years. :D

Aww Yeah

Aww yeah!
    -Max

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

All joking aside that is a nice set up. I'm looking at something a little different which is a Zpacks Multi Pack slightly modified for fishing like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwU3ZIC04po

My gear is pretty bland so I'm going to order a pair of the most obnoxious Dirty Girls I can find to keep everyone on their toes.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools