Topic

New ‘Compact’ Trailstar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New ‘Compact’ Trailstar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Just arrived today.
    Six foot baseline.
    424g on my scales.
    Just a teaser to annoy folk.
    Hopefully photos tomorrow if the weather behaves.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Really? Just getting yours today? Must be the customs thing…… ;-)

David Ure

@familyguy

Between that and the Mini, you made the right choice.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Between that and the Mini, you made the right choice."

What choice? He's going to leave the compact Trailstar set up and use it as a garage for the Mini…..

David Ure

@familyguy

Of course. The basis for all UL. Multiple use items.

What else can the Mini be used for? Portable fish tank?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"What else can the Mini be used for?"

As a garage door opener for a Hummer.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Easier logistics. Stash it away in your pack and when you're done hiking, drive off into the sunset.

Might need a McHale pack though, to carry the bit extra weight.

David Ure

@familyguy

I wonder if it would fit in a bear canister?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

It's actually required below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Peter Evans

@nlslacker

Is this a product they are offering or a prototype?
    I assume this is a new MLD offering?

Can we have some context for those out of the loop?

David Ure

@familyguy

Sorry Peter, the Mini car. Mike is buying one.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ahh, BLP. Virtual bar for the tent-obsessed.

Peter Evans

@nlslacker

You had me all excited there, I just ordered a Cricket tarp… Trailstar looks too big, I thought a mini trailstar is just what I need.

David Ure

@familyguy

Peter…I misunderstood. The Mini we were referring to is the car but MLD IS making a smaller version of the regular Trailstar. I don't think it has a name yet but Mike did just receive it….

Mld

Brendan Howe
    BPL Member

@weeman

Any luck with photo's of your "compact" trailstar?

I have one on order with MLD and am keen to see any user pictures and feedback on the shelter.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I don't see a compact Trailstar offered on the site Brendan, or do you mean the cricket tarp?

Brendan Howe
    BPL Member

@weeman

Its not an official product yet, however if you ask Ron nicely he will make one for you.

Same design as the normal trailstar however scaled down so it is about 15% smaller. I only ever plan on using it solo so the standard Trailstar was a bit big.

The compact Trailstar should have all the same wind shredding benefits as it's bigger brother with a slightly lower weight and packed size.

I first read about it on the Hiking In Finland blog showing all the new vendor products for 2013. I don't think there are any reviews out yet, and I was surprised to read someone has already received the shelter considering the long wait times with MLD.

Pretty sure the picture on the post above has the normal Trailstar on the left and compact Trailstar on the right.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

Will you post your impressions when you receive it? I would love to hear all about it. A couple of weeks ago I inquired about buying one and was told they were not available, but "maybe in spring" it would be possible to get one. Have been watching for an announcement or something ever since, but haven't seen anything.

Peter Evans

@nlslacker

I just ordered a Cricket Tarp a few weeks back… Now I'm thinking I maybe should change my order to a Trailstar or perhaps a mini-Trailstar if possible. I want something very wind and weather-proof. Are there any cricket users who want to weigh in? I'm tall, and I'm afraid the Cricket may be a bit cramped if I get held down by weather for a day or so.

The Trailstar seems to be a pretty storm-proof shelter by the accounts I've read… can the Cricket hold up on a rough night?

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'd also be interested in a comparison of Trailstar/Mini-Trailstar and Cricket. Looking for a new shelter, and these two are the top choices so far. I've been lucky enough to encounter very little bad weather, so absolute storm-worthiness is less of a concern for me.

David Ure

@familyguy

I would go with the Mini Trailstar over the Cricket because the former is simply a smaller version of the regular Trailstar and will have better wind and poor weather performance.

Having said that, if you are taller than about 5'10" according to Ron, the regular Trailstar would be the way to go.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Something I've not seen discussed – Entrance height.

In the UK photos I've seen, most seem to use the 'storm' pitch. Using a centre edge tieout on one side as an apex.

This looks roughly to make an entrance hole the shape of an equilateral triangle. Which I'll use for my example.

A 7' edge used as 2 sides of such a triangle will give a vertical height a fraction of an inch over 3'

A 6' edge used in the same fashion will give a vertical height of just under 2.6'

i.e. an entrance 0.4' or 5" less height.

I think this would be a problem for me.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

A tent/tarp setup is my choice.

i.e. Tent fly that can be pitched with or without the inner tent.

That way you can use the fly as a tarp if desired, such as for lunch & rest during a driving rain.

** The TRAILSTAR tarp loses way too much useable floorspace for my liking. The sides are not vertical enough.

In fact the Tarptent Notch fly would be a much better choice for useable floorspace in a tarp (defining a tarp as a single wall, floorless shelter).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Having said that, if you are taller than about 5'10" according to Ron, the regular Trailstar would be the way to go."

I'd agree. Pitched to the ground, even at 5'8" I think it's best to kant the internal pole a bit and lay your sleeping pad sideways instead of against the back to avoid having your bag touching any part of the tarp.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Doh – Just seen the photo on page 1 comparing compact with original

compact trailstar

answers my question – crawl ( even lower than with the standard TS) to get inside?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools