Topic

MYOG sleeping bag to insulated pants conversion.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG sleeping bag to insulated pants conversion.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

(Title correction: Sleeping bag to MYOG insulated pants conversion)

I had a 45* Lafuma X600 sitting around that I got from REI awhile back, just collecting dust. I decided to convert them into insulated pants for sitting around camp in the cold. Read through Roger and Jerry's articles, and cheated on the pattern by tracing a pair of pants that fit me well :o)

Also, big cheat: Went over to my parent's house to sew it up, and my mom ended up doing all the sewing for me, since the machine is super old and finicky. Velcro closure, no elastic (might add them sometime, but don't really need them) and only 180 grams (6.35 oz). Should keep me nice and toasty with my Smartwool Midweight tights underneath and hiking pants over. Anyways, pictures!
    Tracing
    Best mom ever!
    Good fit!
    weigh in

Thanks to Jerry and Roger for all their advice on this one!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks good. Clever to get your mom to do the sewing : )

I also originally started with a pair of jeans.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

So, what happens when you bend over? Is there enough room for your rear end?

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

I didn't leave quite enough material in the back, so it does give me some plumbers crack, but the pants stay on, and I'll most likely have my wool bottoms on too, and hiking pants on the outside.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

That is a great idea!

How would you have made them differently regarding the crack issue? :) Would you have just cut the rear "taller" or added a gusset in the crotch, or what?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

The first pair of pants I did were tight around rear. So I moved "the point" out and the rear up and they fit better – about 1/3rd of the way down in http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/supplex_pants.html

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

After I try it out in the field in a couple weeks, I might add an inch or two of extra fabric around the waist and elastic since I have a lot of fabric left over.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools