Topic

Specsmanship in backup batteries

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Specsmanship in backup batteries

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

I just bought an Anker Astro 5600 mAh backup battery. It powers devices via a standard 5V USB port. However, it does not have 5v X 5600 mAh = 28 Wh of joules. It has 3.7v X 5600 mAh = 20.7 Wh of joules. That's 26% fewer electrons than advertised.

The 3.7v comes from the battery technology used inside, and doesn't even include the efficiency of the DC-DC converter (probably 85-90%) needed to boost 3.7v to 5v.

I looked all over their website, but never found the true Wh, only the mAh of the Li-Poly battery inside. Some manufacturers I've seen do list the true Wh capacity of their products.

If I ever start a business selling electronics for the field, you can be sure I will be more informative as to what you can actually expect from my products.

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

Its would be nice to have the additional specs but I do think anker makes a great product. Love mine for traveling

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools