Topic

Quick thoughts on Back Country Navigator (GPS software for Android).

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quick thoughts on Back Country Navigator (GPS software for Android).

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

So I have been playing with Back Country Navigator for Android on my Samsung Galaxy SIII

It works… it's a bit wonky to configure and use but it works.

I had to install the Accuterra maps which cost another $40 but these are the shaded topo maps which I really like. They're similar to the National Geographic shaded maps that I'm sure we are all familiar with.

Being able to easily zoom in and out similar to Google Maps is going to be VERY handy.

It works offline so what you have to do is select a rectangle of space and trigger it for downloading offline.

I think Yosemite National Park was about 400MB. So not too bad.

I went ahead and purchased an SD card though and it now stores most of my podcasts, movies, etc.

I couldn't figure out a way to move the map tile data to the SD card though which kind of sucks.

I went through and navigated through Yosemite where I had backpacked in the past. Everything worked like a charm in the main interface.

I carry a phone ANYWAY for movies, books, music, photos, and videos so it doesn't add any extra weight. If you compare it vs a $300-700 Garmin GPS device it's a CLEAR winner.

Has anyone here used a Garmin GPS device vs Back Country Navigator? I'd love to see how they compare.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I wasn't aware that you had to spend another $40 on maps with Backcountry Navigator. If that's really necessary then I'd suggest that folks instead consider GaiaGPS.

Matt Jones
    BPL Member

@mjones

I don't have my device in front of me right now, but it looked like there were different types of maps you could download for free by selecting different map layers. I know that I have a couple of versions for different parks in California, some with shaded contours on them. Last time I checked the Accuterra maps were an extra $20. The limited tests I've done with Navigator have been successful, but haven't taken it on a long trek yet.

Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

My garmin sits in a drawer unused these days, ever since I picked up backcountry navigator. Garmin is more robust than my phone, more easily useable in poring rain, and more readable in bright light. But apparently, the convenience, simplicity,power and flexibility of BCN on my phone trumps that other stuff.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Is Garmin reception better?

Rarely, in a canyon, my 60CSx will lose lock but only briefly, minor annoyance.

Does an Android get good reception everywhere? – under trees, in canyon…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools