Topic

Stuff,roll or fold ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Stuff,roll or fold ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The eternal question :
    stuff, roll or fold ?
    This is my way :
    Packing up a Tarptent

focuses on how I store my Tarptents but the principle is the same for other tents too.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I roll, but I have a Scarp… so I gotta roll.

I clicked on this cause I *knew* it was for sleeping pads and I swear by folding it like a bath towel and putting it against your back in your pack.

It makes them dissappear.
    (obscure Pantera refrence)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Jeffs, I just started rethinking how I pack and have played with "flatpacking" my pad. I think I like it.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Franco — nice video. Thank you for posting.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Thank you Tim.
    This morning I shot one for the Contrail.
    Same idea but someone asked for that.
    Packing up the Contrail

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I'm a stuffer. It's faster and I believe that not consistently creasing the same part of the tent is better. Folding, I think, creates repetitive stress points on the tent fabric (assuming the person folds the same each time). Rolling I think would be fine but less space efficient than stuffing.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

+1 to Dena.

Ryan

Ryan W
    Spectator

@ryanw

Thanks for the video Franco.

I haven't used single wall shelters much. Do you have any suggestions for packing up a single wall like the contrail in the rain so as to keep the interior dry? That is one of my hangups with prolonged wet weather use of a tent like the contrail.

Thanks

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Dena
    In the video I stated that "it depends" regarding what the best way is
    (mind you , you need to be able to decipher my accent and keep in mind that I make the dialog up as I go along…)
    Anyway, for stuff that is very soft/playable, say a puffy jacket or a sleeping bag, stuffing is faster and you are not going to save any space by folding/rolling.
    This can change if using a sleeping bag with a much thicker than normal fabric.
    For tents or shelters again it depends on the fabric and of course as I point out in the video how the tent is made.
    Most Tarptents have a supported end with built in struts , so you have to fold and roll but for example with the Contrail , there is absolutely no way that you could remove the struts stuff the shelter in the provided sack with struts and stakes.
    My "guess" is that it becomes even more obvious with Cuben shelters.
    Just one small example :
    TiGoat bivvy
    that is a TiGoat Ptarmigan bivvy.
    If you look carefully you can see that the perishing rubber band is not really compressing the bivvy.
    Now I dare anyone that has that bivvy to get it that small by stuffing it.
    Even once inside that pack and compressed it will take more space
    Now multiply that by several times for a tent and it starts to make a difference.
    BTW :
    Folding, I think, creates repetitive stress points on the tent fabric
    True if..
    It is virtualy impossible to fold a silnylon or Epic tent the exact same way twice.
    I have tried several times to do a "factory" re-pack for a Tarptent but failed…
    Ryan W.
    Take a look at the Contrail video , that should answer your question. (click on the blue Contrail word)
    If I were looking for a solo TT shelter to use in areas where rain is common and particularly if planning to spend an afternoon or two inside, I would look at the Strato Spire 1 or if weight/size is more important, the Notch.
    I would not bother (I have the SS2 and the Notch) but if worried about packing up in the rain , you can separate the inner from the fly, pack that up and then get out take down the fly and put that inside the front pocket or across the top of the backpack.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

It doesnt matter if you try to roll or fold silnylon
    It will end up stuffed anyway
    too slippery.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

That was funny, but you will only understand why if you watch the video link I posted in my initial comment…

BTW ,here is a comment on my YouTuce Contrail video :
    Thanks again for the video! I was having trouble with this. But I just practiced with this a few times and it rolls up quick and easy. And easily fit back in the stuff sack.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools