Topic

New Yama Mountain Gear cuben shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Yama Mountain Gear cuben shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I feel your pain….

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Cuben Lightheart Solo. Fairly light, lots of space, great ventilation, wonderful views if you get the awning option.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

protoype in the rain.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Brad, what is your favorite tarp, and why?

Tough question because each is better suited for certain circumstances. But if you could only have one…

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Gen's been fiddlin with that Cuben for a while. The vid (a la AO'L) is date 10/11.

I dig his ideas and designs, its just a headroom thing for me. (and wife) Steep walls

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

What I like about Gen's tarps is the zipper on the beak so you don't have to crawl so much to get in the shelter. The cut of the tarp makes for a great shedder of wind. Slept the other night under a Terraform 2 in 35 mph wind, 14 degrees and snow. The tent hardly shuddered though the wind was perpendicular to the tarp. Just really well made. The new single wall Cirriform is causing me to debate tarp and bug shelter this summer vs the new version. My wife says she knows I'm going to try both!

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

The one I just bought. Isn't that always the case.

Hard to pick one when your backpacking home is the southeast, but you also do trips in the west. Also I like to to backpack year around. I'm also 46 and not 25 anymore. Hard to find one that does it all.

The Trailstar is the most storm worthy shelter I have ever used. I have used it is several really bad storms and it performed like a champ. However it is not easy to enter/exit and since I don't like a bivy it doesn't work for most of my SE trips. Great shelter and would be my favorite if I had to pick.

The YAMA looks interesting. The end entry is usually more difficult to enter/exit but this one looks wider which might make it easier. I'm hoping this will be more roomy, provide bug protection and light in cuben.

We will see.

Brad

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I also preordered one of these. It will be replacing my Hexamid Solo Plus, and I will admit, I will be losing some interior space, and gaining about 2-3 oz more, but I am pretty excited about it! I like the overall design as well as the use of both cuben and silnylon in each area.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Chad,
    Might I ask why the move from the hexamid? I've been considering the hexamid, but am undecided about the net floor.
    What is it that makes it worth losing floor space and gaining weight, for you?

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Nick,

It is a tough decision, and I actually have the Hexamid listed in the Gear Swap at the moment, however, the more I think about it, I may end up keeping it anyway. It is a really great shelter, but my one hang up is the mesh floor. It is fine unless it is wet, then it tends to attract a good amount of water, and mud. However, I have learned to just set it up in grassy areas if I am expecting rain and this will alleviate the mud issue, however, I still have to tend with a water soaked mesh. To be fair though, if there is time to let it sit out when it is not raining, a little wind will help it to dry. Also, I have found that the tent handles condensation quite well, even here in the southeast. At times I have felt only slight moisture build up on the inside, but never much at all. And of course with all the head room, rubbing against it is not really a concern…

I have thought about sending the Hexamid back and asking them to sew the cuben floor I have to the mesh, which would eliminate much of the mesh (not to mention, some weight), but I am afraid that water will then run off of the mesh and into the floor. I think that if the mesh were sewn just above the edges so it had a lip this would not be so much of an issue, but being that the mesh is sewn to the edge of the tent, the water runs off of the canopy and right onto the mesh. Also, this will limit my ground sheet size options, although, this is not as big of a deal, but worth bringing up since I have used this tent for 2 people.

Anyway, as far as the new Yama Tent, it does remind me a lot of the Contrail, but of course not exactly the same. I actually like a front entry tent, I like the basic A-Frame shape, I like that it is fully enclosed, and I feel like it will be pretty easy to pitch. It is obviously not a double wall shelter, which some are already voicing concerns about, rightly so I imagine, however, the benefit is that this opens up all of the possible head room there is. Adding in a bug netting under a small tarp like this in the A-Frame tends to eat up a bit of head room… I don't expect it to be perfect, just as my Hexamid is not perfect, but at first glance I feel like it may be pretty dang close, for my taste.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Today while I was packing my pack for a weekend hike, I got my new Cirriform SW tent in. Of course I had to take a minute to open it and set it up to check it out… and while doing so, I figured I would also do a little video on it. I obviously don't have much time with it, but once it was set up and I crawled inside, I was happy with the amount of room inside. As well, the tent looks to be made really well. No loose stitches or anything that would cause concern. I am looking forward to taking this tent out…

Anyway, if you would like a better look at it, check out my video on my blog:

http://sticksblog.com/2013/03/06/first-look-at-the-yama-mountain-gear-cirriform-sw-tent/

David Ure

@familyguy

Lucky B!

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I was getting quite interested in this tent. I like the blend of cuben and sil-nylon and somewhat reasonable price. Seems spacious, although am curious about the quality of the stitching. And it is taped seams, right? But Chad's video points to an issue. The rear pole seems to necessitate use of a 3-section collapsible hiking pole. So if you use a two section or fixed length, you are out of luck. I'm not carrying a separate pole just for this. Although I guess you can rely on finding a stick at each campsite. Does not work so well if you are above treeline.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Set mine up tonight. Great shelter with a lot more room than I expected. What a great company to work with. Fantastic customer service.

Just need to find time to use it.

Brad

Casey Jones
    BPL Member

@cjsbug

Chad, I look forward to your reports after you get some use on the trail. I'm especially curious about any regrets for letting go of the Hexamid.

Do you guys know how long this "introductory rate" of the CIrriform is going to last? or perhaps what the regular price will be?
    I'm soon going to be in a position to make my first shelter purchase. I don't want to rush a decision, but I also don't want to miss a great opportunity.

Oh, by the way… I've been lurking here on and off for about a year. Probably a good time to say "Hi!" and thanks for the great resource all your experiences provide.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Anyone have anything new to report on this? Condensation issues, etc? I know a couple people have had them for a month or so now.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools