Topic

Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

The two Michigan Misfits, Ike Jutkowitz and Stephen Mullen, kept having their own private party up there in the Upper Peninsula. I wanted in. Stephen was kind enough to extend an invitation to me, and plans have developed.

Stephen and I would like to extend that invitation further to anyone interested. Dates are solid.

Where: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Exact meetup location TBD.
    When: March 22-24. Exact meetup time TBD, but since everyone will be driving a bit, we were thinking lunchtime.
    Why: Because we can.

Details:

Many of the details aren't hashed out yet, but here's what we're thinking. We meet around lunch on Friday. Hike and camp the next day and a half, keeping miles moderate to allow for socializing. Arrive back at the car Sunday late morning where we want to tailgate and maybe oogle some gear.

Anyone is welcome! Contact either Stephen or I for more details, which will also appear here as they develop.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

sounds interesting … mode of travel? (when on trail)

If it works out I'd be traveling there on Thursday (7 hr drive) so I'd be wide open on Mar 22 meetup time

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Jim, trail travel will depend on snowpack. I don't own skis, so it will either be on foot or snowshoe. Or on someone's shoulders because the snow is icky and wet.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nice one Travis :-)

Its really going to be a crapshoot with the snow conditions.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Oh, and wives/husbands/SOs are welcome. Mine is coming.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

My wife will come along if it not too cold.

:-)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Jim, trail travel will depend on snowpack. I don't own skis, so it will either be on foot or snowshoe.

Sounds good. I also don't ski.

That late in March could be in seasonal transition … thawing on top of frozen ground … could be "interesting" :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I do Ski but I am crap at it, I would definitley be packing Micro Spikes.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Travis would you have room for a passenger if I met you guys in route also what's moderate mileage I have skis but its been awhile

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Moderate milage… something in the rage of 3-4 miles on the half days and 6-8 miles on the full day. But that's not set in stone. I think some of that will have to be worked out the day of because the weather will dictate some things, including where we meet.

You got yourself a ride if you can make it to Milwaukee. There's a very small chance that we'd take off the night before and camp somewhere in between, but that's a very small 'maybe.'

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That mileage sounds fine if my wife is coming along :-)

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks for the tip Rog. Hope you can make it!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Are these a good idea for this trip maybe I should pick some up depending on weather/ ice conditions???

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Mark, I dunno about the spikes. If necessary, we're borrowing some inferior Yak Tracks to use.

If you're still wanting to car pool for part of the trip, how possible is it to leave later Thursday night and camp in one of the forests up there?

This makes for a long Thursday, but a better Friday. And more camping!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Are these a good idea for this trip maybe I should pick some up depending on weather/ ice conditions???

That's hard to say. Current snow depths make it look like it'll be hard to thaw all that in the next 4 weeks … but it happened last year in less time.

I just saw a forecast for "not an early spring" … but forecasts that long are not so reliable.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Rog,

It would be great if you could make it.

All,

Regarding Micro Spikes, Rog and I hiked the same trail last March and there was no snow at all,
    I take the forecast in Michigan with a pinch of salt, I was on a trip a few weeks ago and the temps where forecast
    at +5f and it turned out to be -13f

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

take the forecast in Michigan with a pinch of salt

I hear ya on that, last winter while picking up a backcountry permit at Porcupine Mtns SP we were advised that "we've been known to get multiple foot snowfalls when no snow was in the forecast".

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I most definitely will be packing my Winter sleeping bag and pad and bringing Spikes and maybe snow shoes.

Its probably will be better if it snows as it mean Winter camping rules come in to place and we can camp anywhere oppose to one of the sites, but the sites are nice also.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Yeah, the sites are pretty nice.

I'm hoping for a solid one-or-the-other scenario. Either hurry up and get warm, dammit; or give me a nice, winter trip. None of this 34F and slushing trips.

My gut feeling is that it will stay pretty cold through March. Last year was quite a fluke.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I hear you on the 34f slush trips, that reminds me too much of back home walking to school.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

I hear you on the 34f slush trips

Travis could demonstrate sleeping in his packraft?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Most definitely

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

For some single malt. Or beer.

2t

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Nice one,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools