Topic

Ground Wear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ground Wear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Completely unrelated to my thread about packs – this is just a random thought. While I was in school I worked at a regional outdoor gear store in my area – Hudson Trail Outfitters. They picked up a label called Ground Wear for a season and we all had to go to a clinic where a vendor sold us on the products (same type of thing companies like TNF and Patagonia do).

So some products were given away that day that were pretty awesome (actually everyone got DriClime shirts that day from the Marmot guy!!). The Ground rep gave everyone a down hoody, and a few of us that answered questions got a choice of a top of the line down coat or shell. At the time I needed good raingear, so I chose their eVent jacket. I remember specifically that the vendor didn't come to the store often, and it took me months to get the jacket that he promised – I had to keep asking everytime he came around and I thought at the time that he was probably hoping I'd forget.

Anyway, I've never seen another soul wearing this stuff. I'm pretty sure the company went under, or into hibernation. Their website is unchanged from Feb. 09 (when I got the jacket). It's nothing spectacular, and I'm sure other companies make better shells, but it's served me well and um…it was a free eVent shell. I've taken it all over and used it for backpacking, skiing and things in between. For skiing out west I built a system with this jacket, an Underarmour coldgear baselayer and a Patagonia R2 jacket that worked wonderfully.

So anyone ever heard of this company? Anyone have a piece of their gear? I checked recently and HTO doesn't carry them anymore.

Ground's website: http://www.groundwear.com/index.php
    Essence Shell: http://www.groundwear.com/showprod.php?idnum=11016511965

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Although I don't see Ground Wear listed on their website I have seen their brand here at their store.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Interesting…I wonder what the difficulty is between getting a presence in small regional stores and bigger places like EMS and REI.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools